Would you go back to work if it meant your entire paycheck and 300 of your husbands went to only daycare

So my husband is getting a new job where he will make enough money to pay all our bills put 500 a month in savings and have 400 dollars just for play and anything extra.....his sister thinks i need to go back to work as soon as my daughter is born because being a SAHM is just being lazy (her words not mine i honestly feel i do quite a bit staying at home with 1st DD)......my only problem with going back to work is my entire paycheck for the month would go to day care and daycare only not to mention DH would have to pay 300 our of his check (daycare for two in our city runs around 1400-1600) so mamas would you go back to work or would you stay at home and have the little bit of extra spending money

krissii

Asked by krissii at 1:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• No I wouldn't go back to work....what would be the point? Is his sister jealous maybe...jealous because she can't stay home with her kids - or that her hubby doesn't make enough money for her to stay home? Or something...being a SAHM isn't being lazy.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 1:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• His sister doesn't have kids and is only engaged but she lives to cause trouble
    krissii

Comment by krissii (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• aboslutely not...and are you even factoring in gas and doctor visits?? I always used to tell my best friend...you can't afford to stay home and you can't afford to work...stay home and enjoy the time with your little one...it's not worth the money. There will be plenty of time to go back to work...My daughter will be 3 in august. I have been blessed to be able to stay home with her...I am going back to work 2 days a week when she's 3 and she is going to a wonderful private preschool...it will be best for both of us :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I was a SAHM for a short time, not too long after I quit my job to be a SAHM my hubs lost his overtime (which was more than what I made at the job I quit). So then I had to try to find a job and go back to work. I did find a job part-time, and since my hubs worked days, I chose the night shift hours for this job. That way I could be with the kids during the day, and then hubs was with them at night--- and then we did not need to find and pay for child care. Thankfully some months later I happened upon the job I have now... which allows me to work out of my home.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• why bother working just to pay for someone else to enjoy your child....you have one shot at enjoying the baby years and if you have to waste your paycheck to childcare why bother.....KWIM?
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 1:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Not only would we have to worry about gas but we only have one car and with his job he needs to drive our car business to business so it's not like we could trade off so i would have to buy a used car increase our insurance it would be even more then just the cost of daycare
    krissii

Comment by krissii (original poster) at 1:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I'm a SAHM of 4 kids myself. I use to work full time until the birth of my twins two years ago. I never thought I'd be a stay at home, but the daycare is just not worth it. One thing I like is that I don't feel guilty when my husband and I go out on a date or I have a girl's night out. I use to have a hard time with spending time away from the kids when I was working full time. Enjoy them while they're little. I still need to supplement our family's income too so I work from home a few hours a week so it's not a biggy. I'm am looking for some more motivated moms to join my team if you're interested. :0)
    tools4mom

Answer by tools4mom at 1:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• alotleft2do- thats my point also why would i pay someone to raise my girls and enjoy all their milestones when i could watch them take care of my home and not have to go week to week deciding what bills don't get paid because we have to get an oil change or buy diapers
    krissii

Comment by krissii (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Other ppl's input and opinions are not important to your family's needs. She shouldn't even give her opinion unless it's asked for. No, I would not go back to work. If your husband can support the family just fine w/o your working, then you are where you need to be. At home with your baby. Taking care of him/her and teaching them your values. Best wishes and don't worry about what other's think.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 1:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I definitely wouldn't under those circumstances! If you had gobs of money and you really loved your job, that's one thing, but if things are tight as it is, why spend MORE money on child care than it would cost for you to be a SAHM?? Tell your SIL to go eff herself. (Yes, I know you can't actually say that) This is a person who will have something negative to say about everything you do, and you will never win. Don't let her influence what you do, just do what's right for you and your family. She can go live her life and let you live yours. Don't you love how people that don't have kids know better how to raise yours than you do? ;-) She'll get hers when her time comes. Motherhood is very humbling!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2011