How did your pets act when your first child was born?

This is more for parents who had their pets before their child... I have a 4 lb tcup and she has always been babied. I have had her since she was 7 wks old and she will be 4 in November, so we have a pretty close relationship. I hope this doesn't seem wierd but I have been doing some research on how to help her adjust once the baby gets here. I am just afraid she may feel angry or neglected...suggestions?

jenni_j

Asked by jenni_j at 1:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Pets

• It's not weird. She may act out just like an older child might.
    Make sure you set aside time to pay attention to her :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 1:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Make sure you pay attention to her too, just like an older child. Although every animal is different, our dog was all excited when my first one was born and the cat could have cared less lol.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• That's not weird at all! I had a cat that was like my child. My older kids saw him being born, so he was used to them. When I had our third child, I made sure to include him with all the cuddling. LOL. He tried to sleep in the bed with the baby at first. He was fine, but that's because I didn't ignore him.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• We had our dog way before we had kids, she acted excited when the baby was born. I of course had talked to her about it, let her lay her head on my tummy when the baby was moving and when the baby was born, hubby bought home a blanket that smelled like me and the baby the night the baby was born so the dog could get use to the smell, when we got home with baby I sat on the couch and and let the dog smell her and sit next to be while I held the baby and loved on the dog. She never had a problem and loves all 3 kids, even though when I came home with baby number 3 she gave me a look like, not another one, lol! Just remember to love on the dog and include it in little things, my dog was my best friend at 3 am while I was up breastfeeding. Our cat on the other hand really didn't care either way!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 5:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• For the first week, my cats thought we had a scary visitor who was taking up all their attention. For the next few months, they were annoyed that the visitor hadn't left yet and was still taking up most of their attention. Then, when my daughter started crawling, they began to think she was a dangerous creature coming to attack them. It's really only in the last year that they've warmed up to her (and she's become predictable around the cats, petting them nicely and not cornering them or getting too wild with them.)
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• That is normal for the puppy who is in the child role. My poodle-Mr. Poindexter was soooo jealous when we had a baby. When I was taking care of my new born daughter. He would come stand next to me and turn in circles to get my attention. So to keep him happy and take care of the baby I would have to pet him, let him sniff the baby...and talk with him and the baby
    -Again-Whew

Answer by -Again-Whew at 8:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• thats cute... Mr. Poindexter! My dog is also a poodle and only 4lbs! I know its tiny, but shes so much fun! I hope she doesnt have a jealous personality like yours.
    jenni_j

Comment by jenni_j (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• When DS would cry, the cats would come running with wild eyes like they were saying "MAKE IT STOP!"
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• When my first born DD was born we had 2 pets from the Humane Soc. A older black Persian cross mix wonderful cat and a young poodle. They were Great!! They lived well. Throughout our children's lives they always had dogs & cats! They helped them. Learn responsibilities.. Like when one cat was ill. She used her money to buy his pills!! They grew up with their pets. And by being that way they never had any allergies!! As you would think our poodle that was just one year older then DD would steal her toys. It was the other way around.. She stole the dog toys! It was good in our situation! I always still Loved our fur babies too!! They loved our Kids!! And the dogs were protective of them as well!! Children and pets! How Sweet it is..!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 3:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2011