How do you get a 10mo to be nice to a kitten?

Just got a kitten for my daughter, but she won't play nice unless I hold her hand and make her pet nicely! Any tips?

crystalrose133

Asked by crystalrose133 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Pets

• Hold her hand and make her pet nicely! That's all you can do. Hopefully it will get through to her, and make sure you pet kitty real nice when she sees you. If she sees you rough play or teasing the kitty, she will try to copy you, so be careful. Our lil girl is nearly 3 and has moments where she's "friends" with the cats, but when she's tired or irritable she screams at them, like she's terrified of them, and the one she seems really frightened of has never ever scratched her or anything, she just doesn't like the look he gives her. You know, that look of distain that cats get. he's a lovely cat but she just won't give him a chance. The other cat is better, even though she has scratched her, playfully, but she's cuddlier and doesn't really give that stare like the other one does.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Just keep doing what you're doing. It takes them awhile to have the control and the sense of how to play nicely with pets. We had a kitten with DS was born, and it was well after he turned one before he got to play with the kitty without Mommy or Daddy's hand right there. Just keep telling her "Gentle" and moving her hand gently across the kitten's side or back, and keep at it. Only do it when she's calm, not wound up (although seeing kitty probably gets her excited!). As she gets older and gets more practice, she'll get it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Thanks, hopefully she'll get it before I get tiredor doing it with her!
    crystalrose133

Comment by crystalrose133 (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I don't know that a 10 month old could really grasp the concept. I would just make sure to continue to encourage gentleness and redirect her when she gets too rough.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 1:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Oh, and at 2 1/2, DS is wonderful with the kitty now, very gentle. Just working on not touching her when she eats! Good for them to know to leave animals alone when they're eating. Most bites happen while a dog is eating, because they get so protective of their food.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Keep doing what you're doing, it may seem like she's not getting it but she will pick it up in time. Mine are 5 and 3 1/2 and I still have to remind them sometimes to be nice to the cat.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Actually studies have shown that a child can not control the pressure they exsert when "petting" untill about the age of 4.. pets and children of any age should never be alone together no matter how well you think your kid is with pets. My son was 1 yrs old when we got our 1st puppy. She is still with us. It took years before he could pet her nicely, and I still have to remind him she's not a toy and to stop playing with her like she is, but he is only 7. So in reality, you didn't get your daughter a kitten, you got yourself another toddler!
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 9:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2011