Tariff Tax

Wouldn't that be a wonderful thought to an idea of fixing the US trillion $ deficit problem?? Imagine the money that would be if we started taxing the same companies that are leaving our nation to build a plant somewhere in BFE just cause its cheaper? Maybe if the US would tax their products when the company imports their product back into the US, companies like GM may start building more plants here at home. But I seriously doubt the democrats would allow that to happen! What do u all think??

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm sorry you'll have to explain to me what a tariff tax is....
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• a tariff is a certain kind of tax some countries have. It means if u want to import or export,. the company has to pay for any goods that are coming in or going out. in the US, we do not have a tariff tax or if u want many call it "export fees. The company's here in the US are exporting their good and not paying for the exports to be shipped to another company. If the US has imports from another country, that country will have to pay the tariff tax. Right now, the US has no uch thing. Think if the US started charging the companies from the other country this tax, like China for example, they would have to pay the US fees everytime they wanted their product to be on the US soil. And there is alot of of products that get imported from China!! It seems like I have 95% of goods that say "Made in China"
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 4:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Hmmm. Didn't hoover try that?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• OOOOOOOOR, the US Government/IRS could just make our country more "business friendly," as the countries that Us businesses are flocking to have done!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Carpy...you know no one is going to actually Google and research such information!! LOL

So, here is what Carpy is referring to....in simple Wikipedia language! :o)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoot%E2%80%93Hawley_Tariff_Act

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• The fair tax would be great for bringing these businesses back and creating new jobs. No new tariffs needed. Because items bought for the business are not taxed UNLESS they come from outside the US. We would have more new businesses opening and more American made products being used. Easy Peasy.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I wouldn't mind going back to a tariff on imports. The US ran in the black for a century without ANY income tax thanks to tariffs. It was our gov't. wanting to spend more and more (and people figuring out they liked living on welfare more than working) that got us into this mess.

I do agree with LK that we need to bring our business home, and I believe that without restarting our manufacturing the US isn't going to make it ~ which absolutely means making this country business friendly again (I can hear the EPA howling already!).

It's time to make some choices ... bring back business and manufacturing, or keep spending until the country implodes. My vote goes to productivity, but it's only one vote.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2011