What's the best way to teach my kids to wipe themselves?

I admit, I have been doing it for my kids...aged 3 and 5...and now my son will be starting school next month, and I still have to wipe him. I let him do it today and wound up with quite a mess. My daughter gives herself frequent rashes by not wiping front to back, or not wiping at all. I know I may sound like an idiot, but I can't seem to teach them to wipe without me hovering over them, dictating, or just doing it myself or easiness' sake. I need your advice, Mamas!

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 1:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• and that last part was supposed to say "for easiness' sake".
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 1:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You'll just have to let them at it. Make sure they wash their hands afterwards. I was bad with my son, still wiping for him when he was turning 5, but then I had a new baby and just couldn't drop the baby to go wipe him, so he had to do it himself. He still struggles to get himself properly clean at times (I wash his undies, so I know) but I leave him be. He's nearly 8 now. Just make sure they know how to gather the toilet tissue and to wipe until it's clean, and make absolutely sure they wash hands after.

IMO, your little one is still a bit young to be expected to do it alone, but if she wants to, then let her.

I certainly know what you mean aobut it just being easier to do it yourself. I'm the same. :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I got my son Kandoo wipes. Something about him having his own special wipes made him use them. I told him he had to wipe, get another one wipe again, then see if there was still poo on it. If so then he needed to use one more, if it was clean, he was good. Then he just slowly started using regular TP on his own. He is 4 1/2
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 2:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Remind them.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:05 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I let mine use wipes, that was its a bit easier for them the toilet paper, and my daughter says the toilet paper hurts her butt lol.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I didn't start making my 5yo DD start wiping herself after #2 until school ended and that was mainly because she needs to be able to do it herself while she's in all day Kindergarten this fall if she has to go. I just tell her to keep wiping until she doesn't see anymore poo on the paper. She'll still yell for my help, but the most I'll do is stand at the door and "supervise." First few times were messy, but she quickly got the hang of it.

As for wiping after #1, I just have her dab (NOT wipe) from the front. At this time, her little arms aren't long enough to reach clear around from the back.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• just let them do it and keep consistent with it show them how the first time but after that let them do it that is the only way they will learn my 4 year old has just mastered the concept of wiping his bottom after going poop and making sure it is clean but also you need to show them how much toilet paper to use or they will be wasting it
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2011