Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

If I adopt my step son will he lose his social security check from his moms death?

Answer Question

Asked by meme699 at 5:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Adoption

Level 4 (28 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • Believe so, because your taking over his care physically and financialy.
    In the laws eyes you will become his parent & with that have all the responsabilities.

    Answer by SassySue123 at 5:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • Yes. When I divorced my ex I was asking my lawyer about having his rights terminated and a future husband being able to adopt dd. The lawyer said not to do it because once rights are terminated they will not receive Social Security from the birth parent.

    Answer by treynlisa at 6:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • I would think so since SS checks are not just given to someone specified in a will or something like that. And since he would no longer legally be her son...

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • I would call and ask the people at social security because the money is meant to help care for the child after the loss of a parent. The laws might be different in your state and they would let you know for sure.

    Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • If you decide not to adopt the boy because of money, make sure he NEVER gets wind of it. Deciding to not be his mother because of finances - well, that's going to be hard for a kid to take, regardless of how old they are.

    Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • Being a parent is much more than a legal piece of paper. I would never tell the child, "I was going to make you legally mine but the money was more important."

    Answer by treynlisa at 7:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • In some cases you can keep the SS check it just depends. You need to talk to an attorney.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 8:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • Yes.

    Answer by frogdawg at 8:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • I am sure you and his father want that money to benifit the child, like it is intended. I think he may loose that money if she is no longer his legal mom. It is an important question.

    Answer by ochsamom at 11:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • If the money is so important, think about this - how much would money would it take for you to relinquish parental rights to your child? Oh, your child can still live with you and still call you "Mom", but when it came to making medical decisions, schooling choices, or anything dealing with the legal system, you wouldn't have any rights. I can tell you that there isn't enough money in the world for me to do that.

    No amount of money benefits a child more than knowing they have a parent that loves them and is willing to make sacrifices for them.

    Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.