Orthodox Christians

Were you raised in the Orthodox faith or did you convert? What is the conversion process like? I have been doing research and I really like the Orthodox faith, but it is very hard to find info on conversions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised Greek Orthodox- my BIL converted prior to marrying my sister- contact the church of your choice and talk with the Priest-they will guide you-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:33 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I grew up baptist my mom went to a baptist church so i went with her, but now i go to a non denominational church, i think it depends on you and your faith.
    luckygirl2000

Answer by luckygirl2000 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Unfortunately, depending on the type of Orthodox church you are looking to join there isn't really a formal process. (like the Catholics have RCIA). When I joined the Byzantine Catholic church I had private classes with the priest until one day he said "Ok, I think that you ready. How about next Thursday?" I did my first confession, was confirmed, chrismated and received my first communion just before the daily Divine Liturgy. The only person there that I knew was my boyfriend (now husband). My church is now writing a formal program that will hopefully be done in 2012.
    I would recommend that you start attending your local parish and maybe approach the priest and ask to speak to him about your conversion.
    If you have any more questions fell free to message me. I have lots of friends in the OCA church and I can always ask them if I don't know.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 2:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2011