Who else

knows about this site called imvu? It's a teen chat site, but yeah, I SO DO NOT want my kids to have anything to do with this site!

My 11 yr old daughter Amber keeps visiting this site when she is at her dad's (and my mom's). They uninstall the chat but somehow it keeps getting reinstalled on their computers. I told them they need to lock the computer with a password, as well as make an admin password for any kind of changes to the computer...such as downloading items. This way she won't be able to access that kind of thing. I feel like they just don't care enough to pay attention to what she's doing on the computer.

The internet is a dangerous thing. Just because it's a teen chat site, does NOT mean that only teens are there. There could be some nasty ass old men on there pretending to be 13 year old girls...and you can bet there sure as hell are! I have told my kids repeatedly that you cannot believe anything anyone tells you in a chat...they could be anyone, anywhere...and that is scary.

My kids say I am mean because I don't let them get on my computer when they are with me. Well oh well. Too bad. In my opinion, kids don't belong on the internet at all unless they are doing research for homework. There is just too much stuff online that they could come across completely by accident....and to me it's just not worth the risk. They can call me mean all they want...when they are grown and responsible adults and pay their own way, then they can do what they want.

All in all, I'd rather be safe than sorry. What about you?

chavela_carlita

Asked by chavela_carlita at 6:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• When I took freshman english in college we had to write about a social networking site and the girl I peer reviewed did IMVU and I agree that it is completely inappropriate for a child. I created an account to verify the features of the website and it made me uncomfortable. I even created a teen account to see what they had access to and was surprised to discover that the content didn't really vary from the full adult membership. I think I am going to be just as restrictive, but my son is only 4 so for now the only websites he sees are ones I take him to.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 6:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I think your way is appropriate. Ever googles images of 38 weeks pregnant? It brings up some weird pregnancy porn. Ugh. There is seriously way too much crap on the internet that should be innocent but isn't.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I guess this is the new thing parents have to be on the lookout for...the damn internet.
    While I agree that having any information available at the click of a button is awesome
    and convenient (and hey, let's admit that it's sooo much better than digging through old
    encyclopedias to find what you need for your homework), there are still too many reasons
    why kids should not ever be allowed to surf the web unsupervised. There are parental blocks
    that we can establish to help protect our children, but it's impossible to keep them away from
    everything.
    My 13 year old daughter has a facebook account, but she has been warned that if I ever see
    anything inappropriate, she will lose fb privileges for a very long time. So far she's doing good
    with it. She even wants her own computer...and to which I say NO. Sorry, but kids do not need
    their own computer. There's just too much at risk.
    chavela_carlita

Comment by chavela_carlita (original poster) at 6:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2011