Sorta a question about the casey anthony case, but not 100%

Everyone is making such a big deal about this case, which they have very good reason to It is a big deal! But what I'm wondering is how can people make a big deal over this case but not one from my area?

It happened a little over 3yrs ago, a girl who I knew, had a 3 month old baby and wanted to go out partying. She found a sitter and later that night the baby died. The people who were watching the baby and the mother waited until the next day to report the death. On investigation the mother admitted to trying to drown the baby earlier that day, the autopsy showed water in the lungs, but stopped at the last possible second. later that day is when the baby died and the mother kept partying.

The next day was my daughters birthday and I remember stopping by the store to get a pizza for dinner and the girl was there laughing with her friends having a good time. This mother got away with it. She even admitted to trying to kill the baby, and she didnt spend 1 day in jail. I dont understand why the casey anthony trial made headlines, but this story barely made the local paper!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 6:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• it is because when it first happened it made news then( maybe a slow news day/week?) ... and because she was "missing" for awhile it is like everyone wanted to find her... meanwhile the mom was catching more news from the party pics to the tattoo ...

everyone just got attatched to it...

Loser parents are nothing new, but sometimes some are just more "popular" ...
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 6:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• That doesnt make it right, every child is important, not just the ones who makes the news
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 6:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I know that, I am just saying that is probably why it is so popular ...

I remember someone talking about the elizabeth smart girl ... he said on the same day a little black girl was kidnapped and taken to chicago , she escaped, took a bus and was home by dinner time and all she got was a 2 minute spot on local news but then elizabeth smart who was alot older was kidnapped and basically taken down the street was missing for so long and got so much exposure ...

caylee isnt the first one who gets this much exposure and wont be the last one either... children go missing and die everyday, it is horrible, but I cant imagine a time when every single one get the time and people focusing on them as this case did
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 7:06 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I focus alot on this case, because of the complexity. I believe she did it and she got away with murder. Sadly, not every case is high profile it depends on the focus of it all.
    I see they have a 24 Caylee alert. Which I can say atleast something good is coming out of all of this, A parent must report their child (atleast in 4 states, within 24 hrs.) hopefully everyother state will follow suit.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 9:36 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• most states a child has to be missing more than 24hrs to be reported to the police
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My BFF disappeared around the time of the "runaway bride" and Natalie Halloway. They received National coverage as well as all of our local channels. Even on the local news they barely showed anything about my friend. When they found her body (my friend), it was just a blip on the screen then they were on to something else. I have no idea what makes one story more news worthy than another. It's unfair though.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2011