"Aunt Sophie, what's a lesbian?" adult content

WTF do you say to that? My eight year old niece asks me this yesterday.

"Aunt Sophie, what's a lesbian?" Great, time to pass the buck.
"I think that's something your daddy has been dying to tell you."
"I asked him and he didn't know, so I asked Mommy and she said to ask you. You were the expert." I sighed. Great, thanks Emily.
"Where did you hear that anyway?"
"From daddy. Mommy said that you were dating that Eric guy and he said that he was surprised because he thought you were a closet lesbian. So...what is a lesbian and why would you want one in a closet?"

I think it's time I have a little talk with my dear brother-in-law, God rest his soul. Maybe I need to find one of my female friends and call her my girlfriend for a while just to screw with his head.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 7:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• LOL, I agree that the parents should not be passing the buck to you although if it were me I would be honest with her. I would tell her that different people love different people and that a lesbian is when a girl loves another girl. I mean it is not like you have to go into great details. For me I would let her ask questions and just explain in a way she can understand. I mean if her parents aren't going to tell her and she wants to know you must be the next best thing.

Then I would talk to my sister and BIL and tell them what I told her.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I did talk to her right before I threatened my BIL's life and manhood if he ever said that again. I'm apparently the expert. It's a running joke in my family that my two best friends that I had known since elementary school came out of the closet. Now I have two gay best friends.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 7:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I never found that question hard. "Some women fall in love with men, some fall in love with other women." She wasn't asking how 2 women have sex, was she?
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 8:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It wasn't that i thought it was so hard, I just thought that she should ask her parents these questions.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 8:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• LMAO gotta love BIL! My answer would have been "I'll tell you when you're older, MUCH older, like 30" and let it go.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Oh they already think I'm old as dirt. I'm only 21.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I agree that it was a parent;s job to answer. However, I think you're one cool aunt. ;)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If they really want her to hear it from you - answer it. My son knows what gay means. Of course in my family we do not view this as anything less than normal and I have explained it as this: two boys who love each other, both can be the dads, and as long as there is love it is okay. I have more details but too long to put on here. He gets it. The overwhelming message is only two people of opposite genders are allowed to have a romantic relationship. So he is unsure if we are correct or the messages recieved from the broader world are correct. It is always a work in progress. If a child asks, answer honestly.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I've never had a problem answering that question. Lesbians are girls that like girls. What's so hard about it?
    My kids have known that since they were toddlers/preschoolers and we don't even know anyone that is gay (that I know of anyway). It just came up when we were watching Buffy (Willow and Tara kiss in a few episodes). It wasn't some big ordeal.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• not that its a super hard ques. but her parents were being jerks passing it on to you.... which makes the question a big deal and therefor hard to answer. I'd kick BOTH their butts.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2011