Help!

How do I stop this friendship or what do I do? My daughter has a friend (they are 12) who puts "I'm beautiful stuff", put a boy "in relationship" on her facebook site, sexy poses, etc... She had put something on her facebook yesterday about how sad she was that she doesn't get to see her boyfriend as much as she wants, she just got her hair highlighted and put a pose of herself taking a picture of herself with that "oh, I'm so beautiful pose" on facebook. She begs for compliments, she's either conceited or has a bad self image and has to have everyone else build her up. Her Mom plays into it by posting so... often Oh, you are so beautiful, oh, my pretty girl, on and on... blaaaa it's sickening it's so... much and on facebook WEIRD. This time she (her Mom) posted "you are so friggin beautiful" when she was begging for compliments on her new doo. Anyway, this is the same girl who had my dd and another girl over and they I caught them walking down the street in the morning when her Mom had left for work, was out with her boyfriend that night my dd stayed over at a girls house.She had stayed there also cuz they saw her w/her boyfriend at the park. I told her yesterday that she couldn't go swimming with her because of what I had seen that morning on her facebook page about her boyfriend, and the braggy stuff and past stuff (I had just had enough). My dd blew a gasket and always has) and called the girl and told her what I said and told the girl who had invited her to the pool. The girl had called and called my phone 5 x's (I just didn't answer).The Mom sent me an email yesterday telling me I am wrong. I haven't even answered it. Gosh, what is it with all these friend problems. She is also invited to an amusement park  in a little over a week.  I said no to that becuz of not knowing the girlfriend of her divorced father who has been in prison.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I'm sorry your daughter was so mean to you and said such horrible things to you. Having a nearly 12 year old daughter myself, what you have described is my worse fear. Since I'm new to this parenting stage, I have very little advice. But I do want to say to look out early on for when something like this will happy. You can usually tell what type a person someone is no long after meeting them. I'm sure red flags about this girl came up long ago. My daughter had a friend like that and as soon as I found out it was a friendship, I told my daughter what I thought of her hanging around people like that. On the other side though, you do want her to see people for what they are herself and make her own decisions, but sometimes you have to intervene.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Monitor your daughters facebook daily - I DO! If you see inappropriate stuff tell her that you will make her delete her account. You have the right to do that - I didn't let my daughter have a facebook til she was 13 almost 14! If she keeps hanging with a girl that you don't approve of - take a stand, ground her if you have to! You are the parent, do what is best for your child! She's still a child and should not be caught up in BOY drama, etc ... yet! She may be mad at you for a while but oh well ... she'll get over it! Her protection is what counts!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• STICK to your CONVICTIONS!!!! It is tough and it stinks bad when your child turns on you. My youngest of three daughters turned 18 today. It has been sooooo hard in sooo many ways, but I will say I am so glad I stood by my convictions. What I deemed appropriate and inappropriate. Parenting is the hardest thing in life, and other parents who undermine you are in competition with you so THEY can look like the cool parent. There is more peer pressure as a parent than there ever was when I was a teenager. My girls are proud of me as their mom, and I believe they will raise their girls just like I raised them. They see the wisdom behind being firm, even though they hated me for it as teenagers. Good luck, you're doing a GREAT job!!!! :)
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Well kids these days are crazy about having pics of themselves. Look at all of her friends pages.....I bet most pictures are of themselves. Its weird to me but thats how they are. I would be concerned about the lil girl being a bad influence for sure. And if you say no momma thats how its gonna be. The other mother calling you is ridiculous.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2011