What do you do?

Do you let your kids go to the pool/aquatic center by themselves? I drop my 13 yo off only when her friend has invited her or she has invited someone to go. I only drop her off when her friend shows up. She always has her phone but I'm a little leary of what if her friends Mom picks her up earlier than my daughter calls me etc. Am I being too protective?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I went swimming at that age with my friends, no worries. she will call you if she needs you, it's a public place and if she needs help the staff will help her and contact you.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Well, at 13 I don't think that is that big of a deal as long as there is a lifeguard and she is a good swimmer. I used to run around all over the place when I was a kid. Also, if the pool is close to your house where you can get to her quickly in case of an emergency. When I was 16 I was hanging out at the pool and met an 8 year old little girl who's mother had dropped her off at nine o'clock that morning and I stayed with her past six, after the pool had closed, and she didn't pick her up until about seven. She left her there for 10 hours with no money for food, and no sunscreen. She was blistered and hadn't eaten all day so I bought her some chips, a candy bar, and a coke and put some sunscreen on her, even though it was already to late so I ended up just making her put on her shirt. That I have a problem with.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• i used to go to the pool when i was 13 with friends but that was 20 yrs ago and in a small town. i dont think i would let my son go by himself i want to know who he's with and what time they are going and will be back. i live in a very small town where kids this age are driving (its a farming community) but i worry about my son a lot when he is out he has to report every hour and a half and has to be home before the street lights are on so maybe i am over protective but i have seen a lot in my life
    Elise_Gurrola

Answer by Elise_Gurrola at 9:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• At 13 I would wait until friend shows up before I left.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It really depends on your child.

Is your concern her safety in the water? Sneaking off to meet boys? Being lured by a predator? Getting bullied by other kids?

You know your child and your community. Take time to talk with (and listen to) your DD regularly. As long as you understand what's going on with her, your gut is your best adviser. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• be over protective and assist to his activities
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 1:21 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I let both of my kids go to our local pool without me. We live in a very small town.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I let my 13 yr old son go to pool with his friends as well. We live in a very small town and pretty much every kid his age is at the pool every day. If we lived in a bigger city I might be leary but I think it really depends on the maturity and responsbility level of the child and their friends.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2011