Even at 40, do you parents or elderly relatives still embarrass you?

Why do they have the need to let the whole world know they are ticked off at something?
When we are in a store, at the gas station, even in traffic.

We are in our local CVS, something happened to tick my uncle off, of course he gets a lil loud, people start looking and I am standing there turning red as a brick. All I can do is sigh and hold my head down and pray they hush up.

There is no talking to them either, when I give em the dirty look, they just look at me and say what? For the most part, its funny but dang!

I even found out my mother embarrasses me on purpose in front of my friends (still now) she knows I hate when she talks about sex. She will say something on purpose to embarrass the hell out of me and they all turn around and laugh at me....What is up with that? I can't be the only person in the world that is tormented like this! They pick on me all the time....one day, I'm going to get them all back, lol

websavvy1

Asked by websavvy1 at 8:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes! Mine still talk about their sex life and call each other wild cat and make growling noises.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I'm too old to let myself get too embarrassed over the behavior of my relatives. Everyone knows you don't get to choose them. BTW, I'm not saying I don't roll my eyes or shake my head, but major embarrassment: no.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Ugh! Well, I guess I don't have that problem myself, and anyway I love my Mom unconditionally.
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 8:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Yes! I love my mom to death but I too am like Lizzee and it takes me back to when I was 16 and sayin mom come on you are embarrassing me!
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 8:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I'm the one that embarrasses everyone just by being me :)

I love to joke around and just say things how I see them, but I never hurt anyone. I want them to laugh not cry.

I believe in laughter it is a natural high. And I'm 52 years old and don't plan on changing.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I find it comical (most times) especially when other customers join in. They have to agree with everything they say, getting them more wound up. This gets em every time ( I tell them its time for their nap!) They look at me and laugh or tell me its time for my nap... I love my family, they make life fun but love to embarrass me along the way.
    websavvy1

Comment by websavvy1 (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My MIL em brasses me almost every time we are out in public. She can't remember what she had for breakfast, but she knows everyone we come into contact with. She's super loud and thinks health concerns are world news. It's nothing for us to be somewhere and her to yell from across the store "Oh, hello, Earlene! How's that bladder control issue going? Did that doctor of yours give you something for it yet?" The really sad thing is, sometimes it's not really Earlene on the other side of the store - then she keeps yelling at strangers as she's walking toward them. Once she sees it's not Earlene, then she has to spend 20 minutes telling a complete stranger how much they look like Earlene and all about this woman's health conditions. -- I used the name Earlene because this was the last person she yelled at (and when she says the name it's actually got 3 syllables in it somehow).

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• no my parents never embarrass me; both of them are deceased but I never had any problems with being seen in public with my Mother--she was a good person and a great influence to me; my MIL on the other hand...that is a whole nother story....we won't go into that
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My grandmother moved with my mom to Moblile, Al and will loudly announce how amazed she is about all the "insert old term for african americans here"
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2011