Breakfast replacement bar?

What is a good one?

I bought the special K bars and am so bummed that they are just glorified candy and have nothing really IN them besides junk!

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 8:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I like fiber one bars they atleast have fiber, which good for you in the morning.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:36 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• your best bet is a protein bar or a protein shake, zone and EAS are the best tasting protein bars. but honestly, actually eating a protein rich breakfast is best
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I'm trying to find something I can stick in my desk and eat on the go that doesn't need to go in the fridge or have special storage needs.
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• The dietitian we see suggested the Special K high protein bars for my daughter. We've also tried the Zone Perfect bars, Cliff Bars and Power Bars. They are balanced at least with both carbs and protein.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I love special k bars lol! But your right, it's mostly sugar. What about granola bars??
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 9:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Sorry and Alpen bars are good too :)
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 9:06 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I used to crunch up a nature valley bar and add it to yogurt. I have never really found one that isn't just glorified candy.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Carnation Instant Breakfast is good. It's not a bar, but it's more balanced.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Be careful about getting too much sugar, especially first thing in the morning. High protein really is best.

You might do better with something you can drink on the way to work, instead of eating at your desk once you arrive. You can add a little soy or whey protein to a commercial "meal" drink, to up the protein. I make high fiber/protein muffins and freeze the batch. In the morning, the kids or I can microwave one and have it with a protein shake. Rather than storing them in your desk, if you brought one from home, it may thaw on the way...so you can eat it at work (if breakfast at work is what you're more comfortable with).
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2011