Do your kids do this?

the library has a summer reading program. you have to tell them how many books you think the kids can read. the ages are 9 6 4 and i choose 100 for my oldest and 50 for the two younger ones. a friend thinks i'm foolish because the four year old is just now learning to read. but we've got baby books and she's heard the stories so much she does it from memory. am i wrong to include her in this? (by the way the six year old reads second grade books so thats why i'm not asking about her.)

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 9:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• no my boys are 9 and 4 and are involved in the Summer reading program also at our local library and they love it. My 4 year old loves going in and picking out his own books to read and it gets them away from the computer and TV; and reading to them also counts
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• no, I think it is cute. you can read to your 4 year-old and it is just the same.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I don't see why not. My daughter was learning to read at 4, it is NEVER too early to start reading to your kids and teaching them to read.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• no your not wrong in my small town they even have a reading program for babies 3 months old they get little picture flash cards for prizes but they say it counts if you read to your child so it depends on how much you read and how much the child can read
    jayleelovemommy

Answer by jayleelovemommy at 3:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If your library is anything like ours, reading books to the child counts.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2011