How many times does it take for your baby to like cereal?

My son is 4 1/2 months old and I have tried cereal 5 times for 5 nights in a row and he does not like it. He make yucky faces. I mix it with his formula and don't put much cereal in it so it is runny. Just wondering how long it takes til he might like it?

DJMsmom

Asked by DJMsmom at 8:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mine never liked it. after about 3 days when an allergy would have developed, if one didn't we skipped on to baby foods.

or maybe add more cereal to it so that's is a little more solid and less like thick formula.
    Anonymous

• It can take a baby well over a dozen tries to like a new food. Or he may not ever decide that he likes it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I put it in the bottle with his formula and he just learned to like it. He won't eat it if I spoon feed him though. I think you can put some baby food that he likes and mix it in with the cereal.
    00MissJade

Answer by 00MissJade at 8:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Well it could be because a baby isn't ready for food that young...not until at least six months old. Babies are born with a gag reflex that doesn't go away until about then. And have you tried his cereal? It's nasty, I wouldn't like it either.
    Anonymous

• Add some baby food in it, my son didn't like it until I put bananas in it!
    porterjoshua06

Answer by porterjoshua06 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• don't worry, don't force it. you'll get signs from him that he is ready to eat food. formula or breastmilk is most important under a year old. unless you doctor tells you to feed your baby solids because he has reflux, then keep on trying anyway. Good luck!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My son is almost 6 months and HATES the cereal, too. I have tried mixing it with other baby foods and nope, still doesn't like it. My pedi told us that it isn't that important. The important thing is that he eats his formula/breastmilk in his bottles. So I do his formula bottles and I do baby food 2x a day. Skip the cereal, it's no biggie!
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i mix DD's with a small amount of water. it's pretty thick, i tried BM and it would get super runny about 1/2 way thru and i'd have to add so much cereal it was making it hard for her to poop. she never had any trouble eating it tho, but she makes a silly face the first few spoonfuls each time. i make it kinda thick, it doesn't run off the spoon. i would just wait and try again in a week or two.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 11:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It really is not good for a baby to have solids before six months... They know it, that's why he is rejecting it.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 12:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• With my guy he doesn't like it runny he wants it kind of thick and he's 5 months. I would try different textures and see what he thinks. If not... wait a few more weeks and try again, maybe he just isn't ready yet.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:10 AM on Dec. 17, 2008