Are you prepared that your kids may move away when grown?

My kids have a lot of family in Illinois, all real close and happy, unlike most families that never get along. We live in Alabama and everyone is so spaced out, no get togethers, but I always thought that when my kids got grown and started families, we would have them and be close....until my son, who just graduated high school this year, told me he is moving to Illinois. It is going to be hard...miss him coming over when I am off to spend a few days, being here for the holidays...and him NOT being here the 31st for his birthday this year...first time I wont be able to celebrate personally with him. But....I want the best for them and I want them to be happy so I will not hold him back. I think it is a postive thing and I am happy for him. 

Just thought I would ask...are you prepared for this when your kids are grown. I also have a friend who's daughter just moved to Italy...you never know what their dreams are...will you support them?

luvmy4kidsinAL

Asked by luvmy4kidsinAL at 9:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Im totally prepared & i get it. I got married young hubby joined the corp and we split. It was hard at first but it makes you grow up fast when you realize you have no one to fall back on! He will be good in his life and trust me he wont forget his mommy ;)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 9:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I will support them in whatever choices they make. I will be sad if they move too far that I can't see them often, but I understand that when they are adults they will be living their own lives.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Awe ... my daughter is 17 now and I am getting nervous - I want her to always stay close to me. It will be so hard but sometimes we have to let them go when they are adults ... they know we're their Mama's - they'll always love us and come back for visits. At least we have the internet now and it will make it easier to keep in touch! Call, or e-mail daily! Good luck!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 9:21 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• isismoon3, yes, we have the internet and my son made me a skype account so we can talk live....LOVE the internet :)
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Comment by luvmy4kidsinAL (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Not really prepared. My kids will live with me FOREVER!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My kids are 18 (and just graduated) and 17 (graduating next year). My ds leaves for boot camp in the fall, and my dd wants to be a teacher - one who works for DoDea (which is the school district for military kids who live overseas - she could literally live just about anywhere in the world that we have a military base...)

Yes, I'm going to miss them, and yes, there's going to be times that it's hard, but honestly, I'm ok with it. We've spent our lives moving around and not living near family, but still being very close to them (my dh is military). I look at it sort of like this - I look at my own adult life, and how I have gotten to make my choices, experience things, stretch my wings, etc - and I want those things for them! I don't want them to be afraid to go out there and live their dreams - and, as much as I'm going to miss them, that includes flying the nest, kwim?

Hugs - you can do this - and still be close :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Being from a country where children stay home until they get marry, it was very hard for me when my daughter went to college, i cried like a baby, she has one more year of college, and decided to move back home, i loved it, but i know that soon she will be leaving us again, maybe overseas , so I decided to enjoy our the moments together to create a memory that will never fade. I do not think we are ever prepared to see our children leaving.
    rainha

Answer by rainha at 10:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Yes I am.  They have to go where their life takes them.  My oldest dd is going away to university in September.  She will be 18 hours away, so for the next 4 years I will only see her at Christmas and in the summer. 

She can legally live in 28 countries so after she graduates who knows where she will go.   When I left home I moved to another country so I can hardly say anything.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I cant even handle the thought of preschool...
    LadyOsgood

Answer by LadyOsgood at 4:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Of course and done so
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2011