I am worried about the outcome of this:

My 18 year old daughter who is handicapped has been in a day support program for the last 4 weeks well she has started being a little to aggressive she is now suspended for today may be until next Wednesday they said the reason was for repeated behaviours which are physcial and verbal aggression,towards staff pusing staff to the point of minor or no injuryshe will push her peers at times to.

They mentioned her behaviours appeared to be attention seeking or escape behaviours i dont know what that means I told Erica who is the director that she is new and she may be testing them because she can do that my daughter has always had a one on one aide at school here she cannot have one I asked today at 1p.m. the director and her case manger will be here to discuss the letter says possible need for discharge and other options and if she did it would be as scheduled with the same expectations they have every day.

I am hoping and her case manger they dont let her go I am trying no to worry there I go tearing up but its early in the morning she goes Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays 8 to 12 p.m. the director has asked me for suggestions and I called her one on one aide yesterday and she talked to her I have her Iep and will let the director see that today I know and understand rules are rules and Brittany can get aggressive at times like I said its only been 4 weeks its I think an 11 week program I say also if they needed which Brittany and I and her old case manger from blue ridge went to visit and I signed various papers say they needed various things I say they need to get more used to her to.

Well I am trying not to get all worried and maybe break down and cry should they say she cant go back she has an MRI waiver and they said that would not affect that so ladies give me some advice for me who worries and stress's they say she cant go back I know I am going to be quite for a while thanks

blessed4918

Asked by blessed4918 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I don't know what to say. I just want you to know you are not alone. Someone here is bound to be able to give some advice.

hugs

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Ugh ... my prayers go out to you. A lot of special needs kids have aggressive behavior, not sure why. My niece was like this - she used to scratch at people all the time. Stay strong - I know it's hard!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I am a special ed teacher, and before that I worked in group homes for special needs adults. The way your daughter is reacting sounds quite normal when she is in a new environment. If she is used to one-on-one staffing, it would make sense for her to engage in attention seeking behaviors because she is used to having more attention from staff than she is getting if she is now having to "share" that attention with the other children. Escape behaviors are also normal when a child is in a new environment, especially if they are particularly reliant on a routine and resists change in other areas.

What I am having a problem understanding is why a facility that seems to be focused on providing this type of care is unable to handle this?! It doesn't sound like it is extremely violent behavior, and nothing you said to me is shocking or something I've never heard or seen before. It makes me question the quality of this facility.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2011