Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Unfair - can't seem to get help with this ... any suggestions???

I found out about 6 months ago that my ex-husband who lives in Florida has been receiving $627.00 a month in my daughter's name from Social Security disability. My daughter lives with ME in Maine! He never gave any support to me for her at all! He received over $14,000.00!!! I have written to social security and they just started putting it in my name as her care-giver (but, he still got away with keeping all that money he got for over 2 years!)
I wrote to the Soc Sec Office of Inspectors - 3 times now and have NEVER gotten a response! Don't you think he should have to pay that back, he never gave her anything from it?!
What should I do about this now?! Frustrated!


Asked by isismoon3 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Level 66 (1,275,470 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (19)
  • Yes he should that is fraud!

    Answer by treynlisa at 9:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • I do think he should give that back - it is fraud and not only give it back, pay a bunch of penalties on it, too. Just keep trying to get in touch with the SSA. I would also (if possible) get in touch with an attorney that deals specifically with disability law. There may be some things that they can do to help. Good luck!

    Answer by BryRon at 9:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • Can the police help on this? I am not sure. I would actually call and speak with someone. He is a jerk.

    Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • That's just wrong! Try this site.  It's good for info about Social Security Fraud. It even has a link where you can talk to a Fraud Investigator online right away.

    Or this or this site - they are both good ones for reporting Social Security Fraud. 

    Good luck - I hope you're able to bust him!  I don't know that you will be able to get the money, but he can get in trouble and at least have to pay it back!  Not only is he robbing your child, but he's robbing all of us, too - we pay money into that program to help people like your dd who are truly entitled to it - NOT to deadbeat parents!


    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • Heres what you have to do. First contact a prosecutor in his area. See what can be done about it on the criminal aspect frauding the government is big so Im sure he'll get some thing. Then if you want the money replaced to you You will have to go to where he is and file a civil suite in some cases in situations like this soc security will pay you and he'll owe them. However remember it was committed where he lives so thats where the case must happen. That's most likely why soc security hasn't touched it the cross state issue. Normally he'd be in alot of crap for it and have to pa them back then if you sued on dd behalf he'd have to pay you what he got as well well her any way. So in the end he could end up paying back double what he got plus theres usually fines as well I beleive for this it's a min of 2500 at least in my state.

    Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • i got you hit this site....not only will they make his ass pay but ill bet that vet will be yours in no time copy and paste in your browser, keep us posted hope they make his ass pay you big time!!!!!

    Answer by MAFIAMAMI at 11:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • Wow, he certainly is a piece of work--- not paying support for his child and then collecting HER money from SSI for himself. That is soooo not right!!!! I think you are right to turn him in, and I would keep contacting SS, a disability lawyer, and anyone else you can think of and turn his ass in! I really, really, really hope he gets what is coming to him, and that he has to pay back every penny and interest as well! I also hope that SS can start sending the money to you/your daughter as they should have from the start! Good luck!

    Answer by MizLee at 10:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • He probably will have to pay it back, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's going to have to pay it back to you.. he will have to pay it back to the state.. I would contact IRS as well about this, they will come down a lot harder on him.
    Again, he WILL have to pay it back, however it doesn't mean it will go directly to you.. most likely he'll have to pay the state of florida back, then you'll probably have to refile for back child support monies due.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

  • MafiaMami is right on target. I am from Florida and you have to have legal aide from his state. Living like a friggin king? Boy, you need to knock his butt to a servant. One that is going to be kissing yours. The corvette and ring and all the etc's... Are going to be sold or given to you to be sold and your right, into an account for her. Who in the hell does he think he is? After you get that money paid back to you, which not to let you down, but it might not be all at once but hoping it is and he will be forced to go bankrupt (ultimate revenge!!). Please, add me to your friends list and keep me updated if you would like to. Best of luck to you. Many wishes and prayers. I hope he lands hard on his high and mighty ass. He needs a rude awakening.


    Answer by Pffft at 12:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • get a lawyer

    Answer by Emmajosmommy at 2:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2011