Carpal Tunnel?

So for the past 3 weeks I keep having sharp pain in my wrist that shoots down into my fingers (left hand), and a few times a day my hand starts tingiling. I just started a new job about 2 months ago where I am typing a lot more. My Husband thinks its carpal tunnel, anyone have any suggestions on what to do if it is? Is it soemthing to go to the drs for? I can still do my job at work but by the end of my shift my wrist is exhausted lol.

Cassidysmom611

Asked by Cassidysmom611 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Health

• I had similar pain and just went to the doctor to have it checked out. They are making me wear and hand and arm brace which makes typing a real B..... but hey it's better then the pain.

I also have to have blood work done to make sure that my carpal tunnel isn't the result of diabetes or a thyroid issue. I would make an appointment to see your doctor and get it looked at.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It doens't sound like carpal tunnel. Carpal Tunnel is when your fingers and hands go numb from pressure on a nerve in the wrist.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 9:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• sounds like eary signs of ct or arthritis... i started getting that pain...and eventually it shoots up your arm and sometimes your neck. i wear a brace but it doesn't do much for me. it hurts, and i hope that the doc will give you some advice to help you feel more comfortable. get some bloodwork done if they recommend it. be sure and have enough vitamin d. us women need plenty of it. and take time in between to get up and streach real good. take care.
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 9:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It does sound like carpal tunnel. You should probably consult a doctor for recommendations. It doesn't sound like a realy severe case, yet. Sometimes wearing a wrist brace at night will help because it places your hand and wrist in a restful, neutral position which alleviates some of the symptoms; hwever it should not be worn all day as the muscles will get weaker. I was able to fend off surgery for 10 years with a brace. Surgery for this is now done laparscopically and revcovgery time is minimal. The first step before surgery would be a NCS (nerve conduction study) to determine the degree of nerve entrapment. When I had my right wrist done, the NCV showed both wrists had it but the left was much less severe. I had the right fixed 7 years ago, but the left is still not too bad as long as I wear the brace.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• The most common symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome are tingling, numbness, weakness, or pain felt in the fingers or, less commonly, in the palm. Symptoms most often occur in the parts of the hand supplied by the median nerve: the thumb, index finger, middle finger, and half of the ring finger. If your little finger is not affected, this may be a sign that the condition is carpal tunnel syndrome, because the little finger is usually controlled by a different nerve than the thumb and other fingers. See a picture of areas affected in the hand camera.

The symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome often occur in both hands, but symptoms are usually worse in one hand than the other. You may first notice symptoms at night. People with carpal tunnel syndrome can usually fall asleep, but pain or numbness may wake them up.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• cont

Mild carpal tunnel symptoms primarily affect the hand and sometimes the forearm, but they can radiate up to the shoulder. Symptoms include:

Numbness or pain in your hand, forearm, or wrist that awakens you at night. (Shaking or moving your fingers may ease this numbness and pain.)
    Occasional tingling, numbness, "pins-and-needles" sensation, or pain. The feeling is similar to your hand "falling asleep."
    Numbness or pain that gets worse while you are using your hand or wrist, especially when gripping an object with your hand or bending (flexing) your wrist.
    Occasional aching pain in your forearm between your elbow and wrist.
    Stiffness in your fingers when you get up in the morning.
    Christmaslver68

• cont

With moderate or severe carpal tunnel symptoms, you may have numbness or reduced strength and grip in your fingers, thumb, or hand. It may be difficult to:

Do simple hand movements, such as brushing your hair or holding a fork. You may accidentally drop objects.
    Pinch an object between your thumb and first finger (loss of pinch strength).
    Use your thumb while doing simple tasks such as opening a jar or using a screwdriver. With long-lasting carpal tunnel syndrome, the thumb muscles can get smaller and weaker (atrophy).

Not all pain in the wrist or hand is caused by carpal tunnel syndrome. There are many other conditions with similar symptoms.
    Christmaslver68

• The tingling, numbness, and pain of carpal tunnel syndrome usually develop gradually. Symptoms often get worse if you do not stop or change an activity that is helping to cause the condition.

In the early stages of carpal tunnel syndrome, you may sometimes lose some feeling in your hand. Most mild cases of carpal tunnel syndrome get better with treatment. Usually there is no permanent damage to the median nerve. Your symptoms may improve by themselves when:

Fluid buildup decreases, such as after pregnancy.
    You change or stop the activity that has caused your carpal tunnel syndrome.
    Other health problems that cause or contribute to your carpal tunnel symptoms improve.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• cont

Carpal tunnel syndrome can eventually lead to constant numbness in the fingers or hand and some loss of strength and coordination. Nonsurgical treatment may still be helpful at this point.

Long-standing carpal tunnel syndrome can cause:

A loss of feeling and coordination in the fingers and hand. The thumb muscles can become weak and waste away (atrophy), making it difficult to grip or hold objects.
    Permanent damage to the median nerve that results in difficulty using the hand. A damaged nerve may require surgery, which may not completely restore the feeling and coordination to the fingers and hand.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Call 911 or go to an emergency room immediately if you notice sudden loss of feeling in your arm.

Call your doctor if you:

Have tingling, numbness, weakness, or pain in your fingers or hand that keeps coming back or that has not gone away after 2 weeks of home treatment.
    Have gradually developed little or no feeling in your fingers or hand.
    Cannot do simple hand movements, or you accidentally drop things.
    Cannot pinch your thumb and index finger together, or your pinch is weak.
    Cannot use your thumb normally (diminished thumb strength).
    Have problems at work because of pain in your fingers or hand.

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:05 AM on Jul. 8, 2011