Should my child be baptized?

Ok, here's the deal. My husband is Catholic and I'm not. He was baptized and I wasn't. Now that we are currently pregnant with our first, the subject of baptism has come up. He obviously wants our child baptized and I don't see the need. There's nothing wrong with being baptized and there's nothing wrong with not being baptized. I understand where my husband is coming from since that's how he grew up and he understands where I'm coming from because of my background - yet, we're still having this disagreement on whether or not our child should be baptized. What's worse is my MIL has already been bugging my husband about it - have we thought about it, what are we going to do, etc. I don't want to feel pressured into this, but I have a feeling I'm going to lose this argument. How do we come to some sort of agreement or am I just fighting a losing battle?

LDS2184

Asked by LDS2184 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• If it doesn't matter to you, but it does to your husband, why are you fighting it? Let him have this one.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• SAHMinIL~ that is correct that some other Christian religions baptize at birth. I was thinking maybe she is Non Denominational or something and just believed in a different way of baptizing.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Do you guys go to church? In other Christian religions babies are dedicated until they make the decision to be baptized on their own. Being Baptized won't hurt and it seems to be really important to your husband and his family. I would honor their wish since you aren't really against it but you dont believe it is necessary. Seems their desire is much stronger than your indifference. (maybe not indifference but I can' think of a better word). I think this is one of those pick and chose your battles. This won't matter to you either way but it matters alot to your husband.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I think you should let go on this one, mainly because you say it reallly doesn't matter to you.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If it's just a matter of you not religious then just do it for him. It's not a set in stone thing. Just because you baptize your child mean nothing really when it comes to when they are older and what church if any they should choose to follow so what's the harm in doing so? Unless your a diff. religion all together. You could also suggest waiting until your child is older and can be more understanding of what it is to be baptized like most other churched do,but for catholics it usually requires classes and stuff to be able to do so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If it doesnt matter to you one way or the other and it means so much to him and his side(although what they want isnt as important as what you and DH want)...then let it happen.

There doesnt need to be a compromise when one doesnt really care and the other does care...let the one who cares have what they'd like.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• To answer your questions - as far as going to church, we really only go on Easter and Christmas Eve. Sometimes my husband will go, if he feels the need to, but he definitely doesn't go every week like he did when he was younger. And no, we were not married in a Catholic church - we were not married in a church at all. I never said that it didn't matter to me - religion is something that I'm not that comfortable with, yet I feel like I'm being forced into this just because my husband's family is Catholic - why can't we choose to raise our child our own way instead of having to follow what the family wants? I have absolutely nothing against people who follow religion - it's just not something that I grew up with or understand completely...that's all.
    LDS2184

Comment by LDS2184 (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• SAHMinIL2 - it totally IS true about Catholicism. She said her DH is Catholic.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 10:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My bad - it's just my own Catholic family that believes that. It doesn't matter to me since I'm an Atheist.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 10:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• In Catholicism, they believe that if you aren't baptized then you go immediately to hell upon death. Since it doesn't matter to you, I would let your husband win this one.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 10:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2011