Would you be irritated by this?

My sons teacher is in her first year teaching first grade. We have had many issues with bad communication which I have talked with her about and had meetings with the guidance counselor and vice principal... I e-mailed my sons teacher (because sending a note never works) to express concerns over his grades and him using his time wisely, and asking how he's doing behavior wise. I know that she is busy, but I haven't heard from her yet. I e-mailed yesterday afternoon.... should I just let this go...? Am I being overly sensitive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• no, i dont think you are being overly sensitive, i would try to talk to her in person adn keep talking to the guidance councelor and VP, if she is going to be a teacher then shee needs to understand that parents want to know how thier child is doing in school.
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 8:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• oh goodness! she hasn't responded after 1 day? maybe she's busy during the day teaching the children... IDK.

Anonymous

• I know at this time of year teachers are busy just as everyone else is, some don't even get the time to check thier email every day. Give it another day or two to hear back from her and go from there.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• You should give the teacher at least 3-5 days, if not 7-10 days (which is typical business response time) to respond to your communications. I'm sure she has a large class (20 or more kids is typical) and may need to look up or organize more clearly for you the information you want to know. And, she IS a new teacher - this is a very rushed, disorganized, chaotic, crazy time of year for the most experienced & seasoned teachers, let alone a new one, so give her the benefit of the doubt and a little extra time...I'm sure she is as anxious as you are to see your child succeed.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I'd be irrated. The teacher should also want to be in communication with you. Too many parents just pass of their childs education as soley the teacher's responsibility. Good for you wanting to be involved keep on the teacher. Does your son have an agenda that is for the teacher and you to keep on track with what your son is doing? If not bring it up at the next school meeting and see about starting it out. If they have one maybe setting guidelines as to what should be done. I know the teachers are busy but even in my son's jk class they have agendas. There are several parent volunteers who help the teacher with the agendas. If there's something that needs to be addressed by the teacher those agendas are set aside for her. Good luck!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Thanks ladies, she did reply by the next morning and was very nice and receptive.... I guess I was extra sensitive because we have had problems in the past with no response at all-- so I was worried it would be another one of those.... thanks for your input ladies!
    Anonymous