When it comes to trimming trees away from powerlines who pays? *PICS*

And how often should it be done?

Does the state, the city or the resident pay for the trees to be trimmed?

Where is that darn "Random" section when you need it to post to?

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 10:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I don't know about other towns around here (a lot of them have the lines underground anyway) but here, the power company comes around 1-2 times a year and prunes anything that could affect the lines within the next 6-12 months - at their own cost. As homeowners, we can choose to have them chip the wood into a pile on our lawn to use as mulch or just pick the branches up and take them away, just have to return the postcard before they come around.
    Anonymous

• Good question. We were told by our power company it was up to us. The county told us it was up to the power company. We finally reached someone else at the power company who did say it was up to them. They came out and took care of it at no cost to us.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Oh wait, there's a light post, duh!
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Here in Illinois, the power company takes care of it.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• IF it is in the powerlines, the part in the lines- can be trimmed by the powercompany, the rest or other trees are you responsibilty or the land owners.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 10:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I'd call and ask the power company. The one here it's up to them. They do not want people getting electrocuted and they got cherry pickers (the big buckets that lift up) We have hurricanes here so I call them beforehand and let them know trees are touching the power lines. Saves them trouble in the long run
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• The power company is responsible.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Should be the power company as they are responsible for maintaining their lines. And anything up your meter is their line. Everything from the meter into your house is your line.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I posted a picture because I'm not sure if it falls under 2teens answer or not... I will call them but I want to know if I need to add some extra money from savings first
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• When they trim our trees, they do any tree within about 5 feet of the power lines, OR branches crossing the power lines. As long as those are power lines and not just cable lines, they should be more than willing to trim them. (and honestly, I don't see a transformer, are you sure they are power lines?)
    Candi1024