Who has rights to the baby's last name?

I am 8 months pregnant and living in the state of new jersey. Me and my baby's father are not currently together and have not seen each other since i was about 5 months pregnant. He has not helped pay any medical bills and only works 2 nights a week. Where as I'm 35 weeks pregnant still working 5 days a week 50 hours a week. Because he has contributed nothing to this baby i feel the baby deserves my last name. It is more practical because the baby will be covered under my health insurance (the father doesn't even have health insurance for himself) and the father is constantly in and out of jail. For some reason he seems to think that he is completely legally entitled to the last name. Please tell me this is not true!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Baby Names

• The mother can put whatever last name she wants...even if it's not yours or his.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My mom put her grandpas last name for my brother since he never had a son and she wanted the name to go on
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I always assumed that because the parents weren't married and had no desire to be married the child would receive the mother's last name.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You are not obligated to give your child his last name.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Whoever is legally entitled to the baby is legally entitled to name him/her whatever he/she wants. Since the baby's father is not in the picture, that would be you. And if you don't see yourself being in a long-term relationship with this man in the future, I personally think it makes more sense for the baby to share your last name. That will make it easier on daycares and schools in the future when figuring out who to contact and your relationship, etc.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Mom fills out the birth certificate and can put anything she wants on there.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You're not married married to the father, you're not even with the father, you give the baby the last name you want the baby to have. It's not his call.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Put your last name down.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I too was in a similar situation and when my daughter was born, I gave her my last name and didn't even list him as the father on the Birth Certificate, it was left blank!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Unfortunately, he claims that he is going to fight for his last name if i don't include it. Legally, would he win?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2011