How can i get my 2 yr old to use the potty?

i have been trying to potty train my son and its just not working once something works it stays that way for a few days then it stops? got any hints to help....

trish201

Asked by trish201 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's going to take sometime. My son hasn't started yet, but we plan to in a couple of months.
    Good luck!
    bumped question for you.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I need to know this as well because next jan my son will be 2.
    MsVanqueOsg

Answer by MsVanqueOsg at 10:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Maybe he isn't ready yet. I've found that when they're ready, it really doesn't take much time at all.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• A method my sister used with her daughter was allowing her daughter to feel comfortable using the potty anywhere. My sis would take the potty where ever my niece roamed in the house. If my niece played in her room, the potty was there. If my niece was eating a snack in the kitchen, there was a spot reserved for the potty. Although potty training is difficult, Im sure your son will get the hang of it in his own time. But another tip is rewarding him whenever he does use the potty. It will make him feel good about using it. Hope this Helps you. And good luck...
    Mclark49292

Answer by Mclark49292 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Boys tend to train later than girls. The average age for boys is over 3. I think he's not ready. DS2 trained before DS1. They trained at 3.75 and 4. DS1 trained for super hero underwear. DS2 was motivated by candy rewards.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• The average age a boy is potty trained is 38 months. That's AFTER 3.

My advice (I have 2 that are now potty trained - DD, 3 and DS, 4) is to encourage the potty, never force it, and let him do it in his own time. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with doing it early! When I didn't, I felt like a bad mom. My kids weren't trained and left and right people were bragging about their 18 month olds being completely trained.

Here's what I did: I let them come in the bathroom with me. I educated them on what their parts did. I told them what to do on the potty. If they wanted to, they could sit on their potty when I was in the bathroom. When my DS got closer to 3, I told him about wearing underwear and how we'd do a sticker chart and small surprises for going on the potty. With both of my kids, I noticed once they started hiding going poop and then running to me the second they were dirty, was when they were ready.(cont)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 11:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My DS did it one day on his own. He just peed in the potty and from then on out, he has used the potty. He was almost 38 months. It took him a month to go poop on the potty because he was scared to. That took a lot of encouragement. I never had to put him on the potty every 20 minutes, like most people potty train their kids. He learned how to acknowledge his body's cues!

My DD potty trained a month before she turned 3. I think in part because she wanted to be like her brother (who is only 11 months older). Same thing. She did it on her own.

I rewarded with 2 or 3 M&Ms each day for 2 weeks and at the end of 2 weeks (sticker chart) if they had a sticker on each day, they could pick out a small toy (under $5). Since pooping was harder for them, they got a toy for the first time and after 2 weeks.

Also going to mention, it is totally normal for bed wetting accidents up to 5 or 6 years of age. A lot of people don't know that!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 11:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2011