Newborn fussiness!!!!! HELP

So my beautiful DD is one fussy gassy baby. When it comes to night she screams when she is put in her bed and if she isnt screaming she is spitting up( not terrible) But if I put her in her bouncer or hold her upright shes fine.

Why is this? Is it because its not as hard on her tummy when shes upright? Ive tried burping her, rubbing her belly, trying different formulas and breast-milk( formula seems to work the best)

I am out of ideas!
PS. Shes only a month old

Augusta

Asked by Augusta at 10:40 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its an old thing to do try giving the baby some dark karo syrup mixed in warm water and try laying her on her belly for a few min. she could be filled up with gas and that will help. i had to do that with both my kids.
    trish201

Answer by trish201 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• And its okay to give to a 1 month old?
    Augusta

Comment by Augusta (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Do you think she could have reflux? The upright position makes me think that she may have reflux. Not all babies projectile vomit with it and if she's fussy like that after feedings or seems uncomfortable, it could be reflux. I would definitely take her to the doc, just to get it looked at!
    Good luck!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 10:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Sounds like reflux to me...it will burn her throat if she has it. Also if you prop her bed up with a few blankets,pillows etc...but under the mattress. But you should def talk to her dr. Its Friday...see if you can get her in today..if not maybe monday? Good luck mama!
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Mylicon will help break up the gas bubbles. It's safe for a newborn.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Sounds like reflux or even colic. My son (15m) had them both. After each feeding be sure she is in a upright position for at least 20-30 min before laying down. I do not suggest trying the karo syrup unless you spoke with your doctor. We bought this stuff at Babies R us called Gripe Water..its kinda expensive but it works! It made life so much better. It helps settle their tummies. We also had to put my son on a prescription due to his reflux being so bad.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 1:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You might also try swaddling her. Our second was like that- really fussy and gassy unless she was swaddled, laid on her (right) side, and rocked side to side- yeah she was particular lol. She does have mild reflux, so we also kept her head a little higher than her tummy. Mylicon helps with gas also; sucking (either soothing at the breast or on a paci) has always helped Anah when she was really uncomfortable. And Walmart has Little Tummies Gripe Water, at least ours does.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Oh, forgot to add- infant massage also helps Anah with her upset tummies; she loves having her tummy rubbed down when she's gassy :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My DS had the same problems he had acid reflux & we had to change his formula to Similac Alimentum Hypoallergenic formula,& his Ped put him on zantac for the gas! maybe try the prosobee,soy,or gentlease formulas

Chelhaidax

Answer by Chelhaidax at 12:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2011