How old were your parents when they retired? Do you think you'll be able to retire and live comfortably? At what age?

Syphon

Asked by Syphon at 10:44 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• My parents are in their 70's, retirement happened around 60 for them.. I'm 49 and My husband is 50. I was able to quit working 10 years ago, my husband will retire within the next 6 years if things keep going the way they are going now.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Dad was 62 but he still works following the guidelines. He lost a lot of money due to a fraud. Which requires him to still need to work.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• neither of my parents are retired, my mom is only 48 and my dad is almost 55
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My mom is 50 and my dad is 48, so neither of them are retired yet. DH and I are in our 20's and have retirement accounts already set up. We plan on retiring at 55.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My father retired at 55 and my mom was a SAHM. I retired this year at 56 and my husband will retire when he is 59-60.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 12:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My parents are in their 50s and haven't yet retired. My inlaws retired when they were in their 50s because my FIL became disabled and they lived off his disability check, now my MIL gets a monthly check (FIL has passed away) and survives on that and on money that my husband gives her each month. Until we can stop supporting her on top of our family there's no money going into savings so no telling when we will retire.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I retired at 51 after working 31 yrs. Took advantage of a 401k and also have a pension. So far so good.
    maggiebgood

Answer by maggiebgood at 8:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• my dad is elgible to retire but hasn't yet. my mom died before she was elgible. my mil is mid 70's and still working....some people just think that if they retire that's the start of the end. maybe it's true...i don't know. my husband says he'll retire when he's elgible and we have enough money (well, almost lol) already.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My dad retired at age 60 and my mom is a homemaker.

We hope to retire comfortably at the same age.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• my dad is disabled and has been since he was 40. my mom is 65 and cant afford to retire. she works 50 hours a week at a factory.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2011