"You Can't Be Both Catholic & Prochoice"

This was a bumber sticker I encountered this morning. It actually read "U Can't B Both Catholic & Prochoice", but for arguement's sake, lets just say it was written like the heading says.

Agree or disagree? Why or why not?

DJsMommy610

Asked by DJsMommy610 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Religious Debate

• If your a true devote Catholic then no you can't be because abortion is a sin no matter the circumstance that got you pregnant.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Then are you a bad person because you belive in most of the catholic beliefs but you also belive a woman should have a choice regarding her body? This is why I think the labels of religion are crazy. I like alot of the catholic beliefs but I think a woman should have the right to choose even if me personally couldn't do it. Didn't men make all of the rules and laws of the church anyway?
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I think people can be whatever they want to be...regardless of others opinions on it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Agree. From my understanding, Catholic beliefs include that sex is only for procreation, and that life begins at conception. Abortion kind of tosses both of those ideas to the wayside. Being pro-choice might be seen as condoning abortion.

I don't know, though, because it would be holding everyone to your own beliefs, and logically everyone knows that not everyone is Catholic. Still, it goes against the fundamental beliefs of the followers.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If you are a practicing Catholic and devoted to such then yes, that would be correct. They don't even believe in birth control. Not that most go that way
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 11:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• mom-2.3-girlz sex in the Catholic church is not only for procreation.

disagree because I know Catholics that are pro-choice. they are Catholic and they are also pro-choice so you CAN be both. However, I think a Catholic in communion with the church would not be pro-choice. This is one of the few things I agree 100%( and then some) with church.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 11:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I am not Catholic- but in general, I think its a bad idea to tell others how/what makes them a Catholic- as for people that have that type of bumper sticker- just annoying and not Christ-like at all to drive around with something like that on their bumper- Christ would spend time working to prevent unwanted pregnancy rather than carry a sign telling others what to do- JMO
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:36 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You can be what you want but as a general rule and a true follower of the Cahtholic faith no you can't be both. Well, you can't make that choice it is considered a sin but you can support anyone who chooses that I guess. I was raised Catholic and I know the rules on that for sure.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Disagree. Several of the catholics in my family are pro-choice, although I know only one Catholic who has actually had an abortion. Them not having the desire to make reproductive choices for other people doesn't make their faith less valid to them.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Well it doesn't follow with the Catholics I know who feel they have no business making choices for other women regarding their bodies only themselves (which is the definition of pro-choice). And I know plenty of Catholics that have been or are on birth control. So I don't see how the quote is accurate. Imposing your beliefs of birth control etc on others does not make anyone a "better" Catholic than one who makes the decision for themselves alone.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2011