"Just wait till your father gets home!??"

Have you ever used this age old saying with your kids? I never have yet, I don't want to sound like my mom! But my friend does all the time, she says because her son won't listen to her. If you do, do you feel guilty for pawning it off on your dh when he gets home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• Personally: I hope to NEVER use those words. When it comes to discipline, I shouldn't have to wait for his father to come home: my word carries as much weight as his fathers.

I really, really, really hope I never find myself saying that!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 10:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i did once as daddy was coming in the door and honestly didn't mean to. lol
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 9:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• A friend of mine told me this works, because dad are usually more the authority figure to children. I haven't used it on my children yet, but I probably will try it, could work.
    delta139

Answer by delta139 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• This has been a hot topic between my dh and I since before our son was born. He swears that some day I will say those words (his mom always said that). I swear that I will not - if my kids will only listen to me because I threaten discipline from dad, then there is something wrong with my approach, in my opinion (my mother NEVER said those words). But we'll see. Only time will tell. :-)
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I have kind of used it. Except I say "Do you want me to call Papa (what they call their dad) and tell him what you're doing??" Usually he straightens right up! Or I'll ask if he wants me to go wake up Papa... he works 3rd so he sleeps during the day. I don't use it very often because I do know I need to discipline on my own, but every once in a while when I'm at my wit's end, it comes in handy!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• The boys listen to me better than they do their dad, so it won't be said in this house.

I wouldn't say it anyway. My mom always said it....all it did was make me FEAR my dad coming home. No kid should ever fear their parents....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:22 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Not once. My kids have no fear of my husband. I'm the one that they worry about when it comes to getting in trouble.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• This used to be a tv show back in the day...great show.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2008