Is it me or do drs just induce women to induce them.. before 40 wks with no medical conditions??

Emmajosmommy

Asked by Emmajosmommy at 10:55 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think so, they want to induce so they have a plan about how many rooms they will need for the night or day.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• IDK I kinda sorta asked to be induced I guess. LOL Its a weird story. But before I knew what was happening when I was checking out he came up to the front with an appointment slip for inducing. It was only 3days before my due date and I could have canceled it if I wanted. But I decided to just go threw with it so my husband could get leave to come home and witness the birth of his daughter.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My doc wanted to induce me twice because of his vacation plans. I refused.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• No, I don't think they do. Not unless they hear their patient crying and moaning about how "uncomfortable" they are and say "Oh please,Doctor, get this baby out of me" and "How can I start labor? Please can you start my labor" etc. If I were an OB Doctor,I might set her up for an induction too, just to shut her up! LOL! REally. Have you seen how many whiners there are here at CM? They want to CONTROL the exact time when they have their baby instead of letting the baby arrive when it is ready.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I went into labor @ 37 weeks all by myself.. my water decided to break and with 24 hrs I had my dd.. so I didn't get a chance to see if my dr would want to induce me or wait til nature takes its course..
    I really don't think its safe to induce for no reason.. I don't get it.. And @ zoejainsmomma I would not be surprised if that was the reason.. and then I also see women wanting to induce themselves at home early... like 37 wks or so.. I was so scared of having my dd early.. I was so terrified when my water broke at 37 wks.. I just wanted her to be done "cooking" (thats what I called it lol)
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I guess people have their reasons.. I just think its important UNLESS there is a medical condition .. that the baby stays in as long as the baby needs to ..unless it goes past the 40 wks and again becomes a health risk to mama and baby .
    But to each is own I suppose. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this new "trend"
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Absolutely! Dr want to plan labor around their vacations, your vacation, and when you are a whiner. Makes no sense to me. Babies should stay in until they are ready, you are overdue, or you or the baby are having health issues.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I keep hearing about this but have never had a doctor try to do that with me and no one I know has ever had that happen to them. I can't imagine a doctor doing this to go on vacation or giving in to a patient complaining. It seems like that would open the door for a lawsuit.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I couldn't imagine even asking for them to induce me.. like I had mentioned.. I was so scared of having her before she was ready to come out.. I don't get it.
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• We've all had 40 weeks engraved in our minds that it's an eviction notice. I wish women would pick up a book and educate themselves. Most women go into labor between 38 weeks and 42 weeks. The due date is just the middle of those two times. And I've heard that some women go past 42 weeks.

It's an ESTIMATION. Not an eviction notice, people!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 11:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2011