Pets

Get this I try and stop taking my anxiety meds because they are a narcotic and my cat gets sick and has to be on meds for the rest of her life. Should I keep buying the expensive meds or put her to sleep? She is over 10 years old, has a thyroid problem and is an outside cat, giving meds to a cat is a pain. I don't know what to do?

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Pets

• We just spent 1100. on a feral outside cat who was attacked by a dog. We have another inside cat who has a heart problem and is on medicine. One of my dogs had a heart problem and was on at least 4 different medications for years until she died. We only put an animal down if there is no hope and the animal is in pain/discomfort.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 11:06 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• well i wouldn't kill any of my pets if medication would help them
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It is your pet and it is ultimately your decision, but I would think twice before going off your anxiety medications, I have one and yes its considered a controlled substance but I would hate to be without it, I just only take it when I have an anxiety attack not on a scheduled basis cause thats how you become addicted
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 12:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I would not put your cat down just b/c the meds. are a Pain.. if your cat still has quality of life w/ meds. that would be really Crazy & Cruel- i have to give my dog pain meds. everyday & i dread it b/c she hates it but, i am also Thankful they have something out there for her to keep her out of pain & happy- only you can decide what is best for you & your cat- lots of luck!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Well I am allergic to cats and my kids are as well so the cat must stay outside. I only took the cat because I live out in the country, we have 4 acres and my friend begged me to take the cat because she had to move and had she had to get rid of. I certainly am not heartless if I was I wouldn't have taken the cat to the vet in the first place and cats show up here all the time and I don't have the heart to chase them away. I have another cat that I had fixed that just showed up at our house. I went off my med myself to save money, now the cat needs meds. Giving the cat meds can be a problem since if I have to try and give it medication it can cause me to breakout and have a sneezing fit. Dear Dancer if you know of someone who wants a cat that has to have medication for the rest of their life please let me know, maybe you want the cat!!!!! I feel bad about this all the way around I'm not heartless!!!!!
    Momabear455

Comment by Momabear455 (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Meooma I picked your answer as the best your right unless it is a warm and fuzzy response you are going to get a bunch of down votes, you are the only one that spoke with understanding and were not judgemental like the rest of these people!
    Momabear455

Comment by Momabear455 (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I think if your cat is sick, she needs to be brought inside and taken care of...10 years old is NOT old for a cat...she should be comfy for the rest of her life...and also having a thyroid problem is very manageable if treated....But then again, this is coming from someone who just paid $7800 for 2 stomach surgeries for my dog, so it might not be the answer you want :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• and I agree with PP...I would ONLY put an animal down if it was in obvious pain...there's no other reason in my opinion.
    calliesmommie

• Honestly there is no way I could put one of my cats down unless she was in terrible pain and was suffering. Having to give meds is not a reason to put the cat down! If you can't take care of the cat, why don't you find someone that is willing to give her the meds to take her?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• U sound cold and heartless! How would u like it if somebody wanted u put down because u had to take meds! Get a heart! Keep cat indoors and take care of your pet with love and compassion!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2011