So is BP really a concern to docs??

I went in today, not only did I gain about 5 pounds, but my BP was 176/100...I was thinking oh shooot...this is going to put me in the hospital! Hardly much mention, other than he is really hoping I make it another 2 weeks...Is he a moron, or is it just me?

Unbroken_Amanda

Asked by Unbroken_Amanda at 8:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• What I would have expected from your doctor was to have you come back the next day and take your BP to see if it's a problem or just a one time deal. But yes, high BP is very important to address especially during pregnancy. If you are that close to delivering and your BP stayed high then I would expect your doctor to go ahead and make a decision to induce labor. Normally, Pregnancy Induced Hypertension resolves itself after you give birth.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• if your BP has been pretty normal, a one day spike isn't cause to check into the hospital.

are you having headaches and severe swelling along with the high BP? if so, that might be a cause for alarm.
    Anonymous

• When I was first pregnant with my last son my bp was a little high at my first visit, and my dr had me come in every two weeks until it was normal for three visits in a row. I guess it depends on how far along you are. If you are at the point where delivering soon would be okay, then it's probably not a huge worry as long as there are no other symptoms of pre-eclampsia.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• If it is usually normal the doctor isn't going to do much. There were times mine was higher than that.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My concern is that I do have swelling I pointed out, and have had recurrant heacaches. He ignored a uti, and I almost had her at 28 weeks...
    Unbroken_Amanda

Answer by Unbroken_Amanda at 9:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2008