How to console my sister in law when her ex is getting married?

My sister in law's ex whom she spent 4 yrs of her life with and have been broken up since 1 1/2 yr ago is getting married today. She just found out and... she came to me I am trying my best to console her but she keeps going on how they were suppose to get married and now he's getting married with someone else. Please help... I think I've said everything I can....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• Go find her a man!!! IDK I can't see holding on to someone that long a year and half when they only were together 4. Ask er what you can do to help her i guess
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Logic would tell us eventually that we all move on. It sounds like her life is not very full if she is obsessed with him getting married after over a year of seperation. She may need to find some hobbies or other things to make her life more fulfilled, and forget him. Mourning what might have been is a waste of time. Living in the past with his memory will make for many cold lonely nights.
    PrdMilWife

Answer by PrdMilWife at 11:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• That's it, girls night out, we're going to go have some single lady fun!

And personally, I don't think there's only one person in the whole world that can be our soul-mate....I think there's a good handfull of potential, perfect, soul-mates for everyone...if she gets out, she'll eventually run into one of those other perfect soul-mates, that will want her for life...not just 4 years.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 12:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It's understandable that she'd be upset. Let her vent. It's her way of working through her sadness. She'll probably say the same things over and over again - just trying to process what has happened and what went wrong. Actually it's healthy to talk it out with someone she's close to. Not good to bury it and pretend she's over it. Now if she obsesses over this for years, that's another story and might need professional health. I think you are doing the right thing being there for her and listening to her rants. You are a great sister-in-law.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Hug her, hold her, let her cry. She's grieving because she never let him go. But she's got to now. At some point she needs to see, why hold on to what doesn't love you back. Love doesn't conquer all. Bitter truth, but truth sets us free.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2011