Sons 3rd birthday party

My son's third birthday party is coming up and my boyfriend mentioned the other night that I needed to start planning it. I am going through a divorce with my son's father (he was abusive and addicted to hard drugs). My divorce has been drug out and is just now getting finalized. My problem is that my ex is extremely jealous and I know he will not like that I am dating. My boyfriend does more for my son than his father does and he is a wonderful guy. I don't know what to do about my sons birthday party. I want to invite the people I work with (I have a new job) and my boyfriend but if I do I'm afraid that my ex will cause a scene and I can't stand the embarrassment. My ex does not care who is around he always likes to cause a scene but I can't not invite him since he is my son's father....what do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Do a smaller party with your sons father, and his side of the family,your mom. Cake and ice cream, maybe your sons favorite food for dinner, Then do the bigger party.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:36 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Oh, and don't invite your ex to the bigger party
    BabyBugsmama

• Don't invite your ex.

My parents always did seperate birthday parties for us because they could never get along long enough to plan or be at a party together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Who says the ex HAS to be there at all.. He can have a party with his son it he wants but you don't have to invite him.. Why would you, if he is abusive.. Boyfriend shouldn't be around the ex until the divorce is final.. This could give him more reasons to drag the divorce out. KWIM...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:55 AM on Jul. 8, 2011