"I want that... now I don't" (also in 3-4yrs)

My almost 3 yr old DS has started a new (and very annoying) new phase where he asks for a snack then when I get it for him, he yells "NO WANT IT!" and gets mad. I have no idea what to do. I am tired of wasting food thinking he will eat it! He's a skinny boy so I don't want to tell him no when he asks for a snack so I hold onto whatever it is he asked for until he asks for another snack... generally he still doesn't want it and eventually ends up in the trash.. Did or are your kids going through this stage? What did you do?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 11:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you kow your feeding him enough 3 meals and 2 snacks then dont give in...he either eats whats in frint of him or he doesnt eat until later that's my rule and my kids have never starved...they missed a meal or a snack but they deff. ate the next meal or snack. I personally dont have all the time or money to make and throw food away. He will get it
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My son is a skinny, picky kid, too, so I understand not wanting to let him go hungry. But this is a control thing, not a hunger thing. You need to set some reasonable rules and stick my them. Give him 3 meals and 2-3 snacks. You can offer him choices (you decide what to offer and he can choose), but once he chooses that's what he gets. Try not to worry about him being skinny (unless the doctor thinks there is a health problem) - some kids are skinny and that's just fine! He really will eat when he's hungry enough.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 12:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2011