"I want it... now I don't" (also in 1-2yrs)

My almost 3 yr old DS has started a new (and very annoying) new phase where he asks for a snack then when I get it for him, he yells "NO WANT IT!" and gets mad. I have no idea what to do. I am tired of wasting food thinking he will eat it! He's a skinny boy so I don't want to tell him no when he asks for a snack so I hold onto whatever it is he asked for until he asks for another snack... generally he still doesn't want it and eventually ends up in the trash.. Did or are your kids going through this stage? What did you do?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 11:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• DS is almost 7 and he still does that. Eventually I am sure they grow out of it since we, as adults, aren't usually like that.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• omg my two year old is currently doing it i cant figure out how to stop it i even asked his headstart school and no advise except that every phase passes some later than we want
    jayleelovemommy

Answer by jayleelovemommy at 3:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My daughter is 4 and she has been doing this for about a year. When she says "I want an apple" I tell her to hang on a minute and then I ask her after a minute if she still wants the apple. She'll either tell me no or she'll say yes. This gives her time to think about it and be sure its what she wants. If she insists that yes she wants it and I get it for her and then she tells me that she changed her mind, I tell her thats to bad, if your hungry you'll eat it. I'm not getting you anything else, so its the apple or nothing at all. I find that telling her to wait a minute and then asking again is very effective. It has cut back on wasting food and lets her think about it before making a final choice. Also when she says she wants a snack but doesnt tell me what, I give her choices. You have an apple, gold fishes, or crackers, what one do you want? Then I always double check, again to let her think about it.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• @ SMG1120 tough love at times! My son is skinny too but eats a lot he is just very picky! Try and sit with him while he eats this may help with the problem and gives you time to spend with him and talk! :)
    kelli.mccarty

Answer by kelli.mccarty at 7:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• my boys both do this also so I ask them a couple times if they really want what they've asked for and then after the 2nd time they still do then I'll get it for them
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2011