My daughter doesn't tell me when she has to go to the potty

My 3 year old daughter doesn't tell me when she has to potty and go on herself when we're in out of the house. But when we're at home, naked waist down, she'll go in the potty without telling me. Yesterday when I was at my grandmother's house, my DD did #2 in her training pants and my grandma got mad at me for not potty training my daughter properly and I didn't know she has to go potty until I smelled it on her. I check her training pants for pee and change it. I wanted for her to be potty trained before she goes to Head Start school in the fall because I heard that they won't accept her if she's not potty trained. Am I the only one going through this.

BTW this is my first child and I never potty trained anybody in my life.

TashaStar81

Asked by TashaStar81 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are you putting her in diaper like training pants which take the moisture away from her body OR putting her in cloth panties. Try the cloth panties....favorite character - something she won't want to spoil.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• And put her on the potty/toilet every so often when your out of the house. My 2 year will tell me most of the time but, is I notice it has been awhile I will put her on the potty. My 3 y/o nephew will just poop/pee on himself and doesn't care if it is uncomfortable. Good luck!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My mom says one of her friends gave her the idea of putting cloth panties on under the diaper/pull-up. That way she'll still feel it when she wets, but there won't be a mess.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My son didn't either. He would go on his own at home but not in public. I tried treats & stickers but nothing worked to encourage him. Until one day, I found his "trigger". I told him that he would get a new hot wheels car each time he went; they're $1. I took him to the store, let him pick several out then told him he couldn't open them until he went potty. At first, he was like "what?!" but then he asked for me to take him & he went #1 and later #2 in the same shopping trip! This worked like it charm for me; hope it helps!

BTW, I ditched pull-ups & went straight to underwear when he was 3 yrs. 4 mos.
    Drakesmama88

Answer by Drakesmama88 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• put her in regular undies during the day and take her to the potty every hour and have her sit on the potty even if she doesn't go. Don't keep putting her back in diapers and don't use pull-ups they don't work they are just like diapers. have her pick out some "special undies" that she likes but let her know if she soils them they will no longer be special. I did this with my son and it worked
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:26 AM on Jul. 11, 2011