Pressured to keep up w/ technology to be cool with the kids?

Doesn't it seem like every time a new TECH product comes out the kids are pressuring us more and more to keep up so they look cool w/ their friends! My daughter got an expensive ipod a couple years ago and it works fine - but now that ipod touch has been out - she wants that! Wants to substitute perfectly good laptops for ipads, etc.... I'm really getting tired of it! Even my 9 year old wants a "cool" cellphone ... I feel bad because I can't afford these ridiculous upgrades and I didn't have gadget growing up - I had a bike!
Does this happen to you? What do you tell your kids?

isismoon3

Asked by isismoon3 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 66 (1,275,470 Credits)
  • It does happen but we sell their old ones to help pay for the new ones. They only get the new things at Christmas or at birthdays. I know how it is to be the only kid without something and to be made fun of. So I make sure they have the latest things. I also go by age though. I got my 11 yr old a cell but it isnt with all the bells and whistles, my 17 yr old however we got him an HTC.

Answer by gemgem at 12:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• No my son has gadgets but they are my old ones still quite up to date we have the latest I guess were more gechys then him. lol
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I'd tell em' tough shit!
    Now if they're carrying around stuff from the 80's,thats a whole other matter!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• i do under stand your point but i also see it from the kids point too....and if their willing to work to help pay for it or its a gift then i'm ok with it.....but then i'm also with gemgem on the age thing dd 15 has the most up to date stuff and alot of time her old stuff is passed down to dd 13 and dd 13's stuff is passed down to ds 9......so we kinds get our moneys worth.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• my 7yr old wants a cell phone! i told her yeah right, not until she is older (i always leave stuff like that open with the age, 18 is older, hehe). until i get all the newest gadgets they cant.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My kids don't do that. They don't care what their friends have or what we have and they would never think to demand that the adults upgrade their tech so they can be cool. It probably helps that my kids aren't allowed to use all the tech we do have.
    We have one desktop computer. It's mine. The kids aren't allowed to play with it. We have an xbox that is my husband's. They are only allowed to play with it with permission from him. They have a Wii that is currently not working but they can only use it if they are behaving.
    My husband has an ipod touch but they are NOT allowed to touch it ever. We both have smartphones but the kids are NOT allowed to touch them. The kids each have their own DSs (gifts from my dad) and even those they only get with permission and are frequently put up for months at a time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I am not at that stage yet but if my son starts bothering me for something stupid like that he is going to have to get a job!
    mamatel

Answer by mamatel at 11:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2011