Would my 2 yr old sleep longer at night if he had a nap during the day?

snsulli78

Asked by snsulli78 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• more info please. what time are you putting him to bed? What time is he waking? What is the actual problem ? :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• not necessarily

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• According to the book "healthy sleep habits, healthy child," yes, a nap would help.

The doctor that wrote the bok believes sleep begets more sleep....and sleep deprivation begets more sleep deprivation...with my kids that's seemed to be spot on.

Great read, and good advice for making nap time happen. Good luck!
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 12:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Possibly, sleep breeds sleep. But every child is different.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I would say yes, my daughter is almost 4 and still naps during the day, I find when she doesnt nap at preschool she is harder to put down at night. With that being said, it depends when the child should take the afternoon nap in regard to when you want them to go to bed for the night.
    hubsmom07

Answer by hubsmom07 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I guess it depends on the child. My son will sleep 8-7:30 and then take a 2-3 hour nap everyday. If he doesn't get his nap in he'll fall asleep earlier and still wake up at the same time.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Probably not. He was fall asleep earlier and get up earlier or be in a crabby mood for the whole afternoon. What are his sleeping times?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It really depends on the kid... if i let my daughter take a nap id make sure she was up by 4:00pm no matter what that way she would sleep...
    P3anut

Answer by P3anut at 5:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• there is no reason as to why a 2 year old should not have 1 nap during the day. my daughter gets up at 7 am and takes a nap from 11-1 every day. she goes to bed at 8 without a fight. i say bedtime, and she walks right into her room, climbs into the playpen, and waits patiently for me to grab "goodnight moon". at nap time, it's the same thing without the book. around 4 you may consider turning the nap time into quiet time.
    pinkpaisley8709

Answer by pinkpaisley8709 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It's possible, but it depends on the child. My first has always needed sleep, and a ton of it. If he didn't get enough sleep, he would get over tired and not sleep well and end up waking up earlier, starting a vicious cycle. Making sure he got his nap and putting him to bed earlier caused him to sleep longer (and better). My second, on the other hand, has trouble falling asleep at night if she takes a nap, and she functions better on 11-12 hours of night sleep than breaking it up into a 2 or 3 hour nap and only 8 or 9 hours of night sleep.

The only thing to do is to try it with your child and see how it works.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2011