What is the best way to potty train a 2 year old?

mommyof0484

Asked by mommyof0484 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• easiest way is to wait until they are ready.

Anonymous

• I agree, let them give you the signs. Don't force it or you could regret it later by them regressing.

Anonymous

• My son is 2 1/2 and he is now potty trained. I took him out of diapers and straight into underwear. He had accidents for four straight days after that he had fewer each day. Now, he even uses public bath rooms.
    adwide

Answer by adwide at 10:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I started my daughter after she just turned 2 (shes 28months now) and I agree with the other person go straight from diapers to underwear.... pull ups are like a fancy diaper it still feels like one why wouldnt they feel ok to go in one? She of course had accidents the first few days but everytime I'd run her to the bathroom sit her on the toliet and tell her this is where we need to go pee at try to tell mommy before you go... She caught on really quick and would say pee-pee and move fast lol it took her awhile to get holding it till we got on the toliet but, I used no special potty or seats or pull-ups and she is now fully trained and uses public bathrooms wakes me up at night if she has to go and she was doing that after just one week,,,,, she may have an accident here or there but so do kids in kindergarden so I think we are doing very well.
    Shevelle

Answer by Shevelle at 10:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• some ways to know if they are ready to use the potty is if they tell you they went in there diaper, also if they can hold it throughout the night, those usually mean they are ready
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:41 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My son just turned 2 and we got him a potty seat and he sits on it, but hasn't gone in yet. He does point to his diaper when he goes in it (he has speech issues so he's not talking much yet), but I don't plan on really potty training him until he is 2 1/2 or so. Everyone says boys take longer anyways so I don't want to rush it.
    BensMomma06

Answer by BensMomma06 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 17, 2008