Did anything traumatic happen to you as a child?

i remember when i was about 6, i was at my afterschool daycare and my bestfriend, another friend and i were playing this game in the closet. we each had to take turns going in. well when it was my turn, i flipped out. they left me in there too and i don't even remember how long i was in there. but i do remember the pitch blackness and the inability to get out because the door locked from the inside. when my mom came to pick me up, the teacher told her i didn't even get off the bus that day. so then my mom was panicking, and my friend told her where i was. she found me in the corner in the fetal position sobbing. needless to say it was the last day i ever spent at that daycare.

i had recurring nightmares for literally years after that, i slept with my parents and for the longest time slept with my door open when i finally did make it back to my bed. and i remember it like it was yesterday now at 24 years old.

unsure what category to put this in btw...well, share your traumatic story if you'd like!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• oh, and i still prefer to sleep with my door open!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Quite honestly, the most traumatic thing that happened to me was when my dad commented on the price of "maxipads" when i was 13. I cried and ran away. Heh.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 1:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I'm claustrophobic and afraid of the dark because my step father was abusive, and when he came after me, I'd hide in my closet. No now, I'm really anxious in small places....but when i'm really upset, I hide in the smallest, darkest place i can find to cry it out.

I'm also very scared of balloons popping because I had on slap my eye ball as a child. It swelled and was blood shot for days.

mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 1:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I have had this reoccuring dream about staring up at my mobile in my crib and hearing my parents fighting, I then fall. Apparently when I was super little my mom and dad got into a horrible fight (he physically abused her) so my mom put me in my crib. I tried to climb out to get to her and fell. I am now terribly sensitive to fighting (I cry if someone is fighting, I can't handle it) and am terribly afraid of heights. I still to this day have that dream ever so often. Also, when my mom passed away I grew afraid of the dark. I have to have a nightlight in my room.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2011