CPs neglect?

Ok there are many cases where there is abuse and neglect. But what about physical environment? My friend has health issues and is broke. Her son is four. He is healthy- active and is loved. He is starting to read & do math. Has a very short attentionspan. She cannot get him in pre-k for dome reason she cannot explain. In all aspects he is a well adjusted normal kid. Problem is the house is filthy, disaster zone filthy. The last time I was there I removed 2black trash bags of molded books, shattered plates and rotted food(he sneaks the sweets/fruits into his room at night then hides the evidence in his dresser) . There was cat shit on the floor and his bed was soaked from water he poured on it(when I was there) to show my daughter how to swim.
I was down stairs with the baby when my daughter (3) came to tell me she needed a new shirt. That was when I saw his room. The rest of the house is cluttered. 8 people in a two bedroom with 4 cats cluttered. So there are boxes everywhere but I never noticed this filth before.
So my question is do I call CPs? According to the site they are Concerned with physical & mental abuse only.

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 1:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• sounds like a mixture or hoarding and lazyness. CPS accepts that
    Anonymous

• that would be neglect - failure to provide a safe environment. do you really need to ask what constitutes abuse/neglect?
    MsSelfDestruct

Answer by MsSelfDestruct at 1:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If the living environment is dangerous and unhealthy for a child to be in I would think they would do something.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You should call CPS. They probably will not take the child unless the mother does not comply and clean her house. Either she will make it a safe environment for that poor little boy, or they will take him to someone who will.
    bercasto

Answer by bercasto at 1:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• They can't have their kids living in filth! That is reason enough to call cps and they will come check it out ... if they feel it's unfit living conditions, they will give them a certain amount of time to have it cleaned up! It's your call, but you may want to be a friend and explain your concerns first and even offer her a hand considering she has health issues... before involving cps!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• What is your goal? Yes they will take the child for what you described.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It wasn't like this two weeks ago. So I'm not sure if this is due to the moms medications being changed and dad being put in thehospital due to depression & PTSD or if they just cleaned before I got there.
    I've offered to help out with laundry ( in fact I was dropping off three totes of clean clothes that day. ) but with 3 functioning adults in the house wouldn't someone pick up the slack?
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Call CPS and let them decide if it is a CPS issue. I think it definitely warrants a look into.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 1:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• So six adults and 2 kids. And I just want to help her out.. But when ever I do she complains, says I'm making her feel bad and then when I go back nothing else has been done.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• CPS sees it as neglect as it's not a safe clean environment.
    Anonymous