My kids have medical issues one diagnosed adhd/aspergers syndrome the other may have anther form of autism

the oldest had to go on special needs bus last year due to all the trouble she was having on the bus. 1 it was to loud which would set her off into meltdown and the driver would not turn music on even low for her so she would sing to calm herself and she got yelled at for it. the younger daughter has this thing about crying over everything and gets really angry. the younger daughter bus driver has been trying to have cps called in on me. because of the these things. number 1 i have explained to him what was going on, i have the school and counselors who know what i am doing to help my kids and that i am a good mom. they have told me that and my mom to. my daughter had a tantrum and meltdown with them and they could not calm her down they put her on speaker phone i reminded her about what is behavior is expected and to breathe. but i would like to know where this driver thinks it is his business to access what is going on when he only seen the kids for 1 hour total per day and does not really know about autism and disabilities. anyone else go through this, and by the way i was told that the school and counselors will stand up for me and my kids. that i am doing everything i can possibly do for them to help them. i am so upset and not looking forward to the start of school again as who knows what he will do next.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Inform the bus driver that you will have harassment charges brought against him if he calls CPS because he doesn't like the way your child behaves on the school bus. He has no business getting into your business like that. I would also inform his boss. I had problems with my kids bus driver too, I think he was mean to my kids because they are related to my sister. He doesn't like her from her days of attending that school. We ended up moving to the next town to get away from that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Is there any possible way that you could drive them to school instead of having them bussed? The busdrivers only have training in driving, so they are just not good at handling behavioral issues because it is not their job. They just transport. It doesn't sound like a good environment for your kids, though, because it is too chaotic.

Can you or someone else do the transporting instead?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Im not going to pretend that I know how you feel but I do understand how frustrating as a parent it is to have a child with what I like to call "issues" My son has his own issues and some days all I feel like doing is crying because Im so frustrated! People never will understand what you go through as a parent until they are in the situation themselves. I hate getting advice from other parents who have no clue how to handle my kid and tell me what Im doing wrong. As moms we do our best to provide the best for our children, making them feel loved and letting them know they will never be alone. You are not alone! The best advice I can give you (which may not mean a lot) Moms need breaks too, its great to destress so you can handle another day. Know that you are givingit your all and that your babies love you. Try, as hard as it may be, to not let other people stress you out You have nothing to worry about

dedicatedmama2

Answer by dedicatedmama2 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• my oldest daughter is thriving on the special needs bus but until the diagnosis for my younger one we are stuck unfortunately. we are trying to actually move into town where i could just drive or walk them to the school.
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• the thing is special needs kids are guaranteed rights in our school system to have a safe mode of transportation but because of lack of diagnosis at this time for youngest she cannot take that bus. she is getting ready to see her dr for the issues because they do not want to diagnose her and find out there is a neurological disorder. i make sure my kids are fed , clean clothed loved and not abused. but yet i am being told by anon it is not his place to accomadate my kid but he is making it his duty to try to disrupt my kids lives. there daddy has even stated that if he and i were to ever divorce he knows he would have to leave them with me as i am the one who can handle the oldest. autism is not fun and you have to learn how to handle things differently

WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Honestly - you are talking about someone responsible for 30-45 children on a loud bus every day twice a day.

We are guaranteed by the public school systems - a "free" education, but we are not guaranteed a ride for a children. Some schools do not even provide buses, the parents have to provide it.

So, be prepared to transport your own children if necessary as the bus drivers are not taught or equipped (on a regular bus) for dealing with situations like those with your children. They should not have to accommodation for one child when there are up to 44 others on that bus.
    Anonymous