Applying for a job-inbetween-jobs job and feeling less confident

Today I had an interview for a position for a grocery store. As far as the interview itself, I feel that it went fine. But the gut feeling with the questioning is that the selection as competition (and that I've been out of the grocery business for over fifteen years). I am feeling that the interview for this job has left me feeling intimidated because of the interview vibe says that I may not get hired (because of my over-qualification and time-distance to the grocery business).

I am having a very hard time finding work (to the point of relocating to another state). I have had some very uppidy jobs (including an enterprising award) in the past but have been a target of financial cutbacks.

Question- If I'm feeling a bit sandwiched-in because of my education & experience (or lack of in this case) should relocation be a wiser bet for me (especially if I don't get hired)? - I'm really under the gun and neeeeeeda job soon. The competition, the wait, and the guessing game is really killing me.

Thanks in advance

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 1:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• Hang in there...wait and see what happens with the interview...maybe it went better than you're thinking.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 1:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I don't really know what to tell you. I'm in a very similar situation. I personally would relocate for work if it didn't mean taking the kids so far from their dad, which would crush the 3 of them. :( Good luck!
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 1:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I'm with you...I got laid off in January and NEVER thought I would be out of work this long. Hubby and I have considered relocation because the economy where we are is so awful, but we have 2 kids and an empty bank account to consider. I guess it depends on your situation...relocation might be the answer, and would probably open up some new doors, but I personally wouldn't want to make that move unless I had some pretty concrete prospects.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• That is a tough situation. Wait and see, keep applying and in the mean time start researching the job markets in other states that you would like to work in. Good Luck mama!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• What about doing consulting/freelance work? Tap into your professional network, and see what comes up

Answer by rkoloms at 9:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Check out Beyond Mothers at www.beyondmothers.com. You can search for Jobs and view Work at Home opportunities.
    Singlemomma555

Answer by Singlemomma555 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2011