What age do YOU think people should be allowed to marry?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 1:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• me never normal people when they are less selfish and aware marriage is work and not a fix for a man who will not grow up or a fix for a partner who cheats or does not pay bills or does not care. Marriage is hard and as soon as people can figure that out thats when.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• 18, when you are a legal adult. I wouldn't encourage it but I think it should still be legal, the same as everything (yes even drinking), that adults are allowed to legally do.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 1:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• At what age do I believe people should be allowed to be married by whom? The State? The Church? The Parents?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 1:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• 25 for kids and marriage. give people time to grow up and get out of the party life that 21 seems to bring all of us.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• 18. Personally, I think the legal drinking age should be lowered back down to 18 as well.
    missy701

Answer by missy701 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You're a legal adult at 18, and should be allowed to legally marry at 18. Sure, some people are dumbasses at 18 (or 20, or 30, or 40), but many aren't. My husband and I never went through a party stage and we still don't drink. It's just not us. Their maturity doesn't really factor in anyway, considering that at 18, you are allowed to enter into legal contracts, and marriage is a legal contract.
    BTW I did marry at 18, and started having children 5 years later. We'll be married 14 years in September.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It's not that I would condone PREVENTING someone from getting married, but in this day and age, I don't RECOMMEND it until the bride and groom are AT LEAST 30 years old!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I do want to add to my post that another reason I liked being married young is that we wanted to be married for a while before we started a family. That was important to me. I wouldn't want to get married and immediately start having children, which is what we might have done if we'd been much older when we married. Those five years just the two of us was valuable and gave us a good solid relationship before we brought children into it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• When they are mature, have a college education, a good job and the ability to support a family....a family that will arrive after a few years of marriage. ;-) And that means you can't specify AN AGE!!!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I don't think anyone can set an age.
    We were 18, we have now been married for 33 years. Were we mature? Probably not. We didn't have a college education, still don't, but my husband worked hard and we raised 2 kids who are happily married and we have 5 grandkids.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 2:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2011