How do you feel about the new Car seat rules?

They changed the new car seat requirements around.. The American Academy of Pediatrics now advises parents to keep toddlers in rear-facing car seats until age 2, or until they exceed the height or weight limit for the car seat. Do you follow this? Your thoughts.

staciepi

Asked by staciepi at 2:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• no, rear facing at 2, that's crazy. they are BIG by then... mine is 2 and he is 36inches tall, where are his legs to go?
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 2:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Absolutely I follow it. It's about time the AAP caught up with what physicists and people taking care of too many internally decapitated children already knew.

Their legs fold up against the seat, and they are quite comfortable. Adults always have a crazy method of assigning adult preferences to infant and toddler preferences, which are totally different, as are their physical makeup and bone structure.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 2:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My kids are way past that age, but I wish I had followed the guidelines. I turned my kids too early because I didn't know any better then. I wish there had been more information out there when my kids were younger and I'm just glad that we didn't get into an accident.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I followed it by chance since my kids were small. They were not 20 pounds until age 2.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• The AAP has recommended this for quite a while, actually. I don't really know why it's just recently come to media attention. I think it may have something to do with the NHTSA also making this an official recommendation.

As for how I feel...I think it's a great recommendation. Like Ataemommy said, too many people think their kids are uncomfortable in a certain position just because they would be, which is definitely not the case. My oldest is 4, and he's still rear-facing (safely, under the maximums for the seat)--BY HIS CHOICE. He wants to sit the same way as his sister; why would he want to do something that makes him uncomfortable? Answer: he wouldn't.

Besides which, there are myriad studies that show that it is safer to sit rear-facing, regardless of age. As long as it's possible and feasible, I don't see why anyone chooses not to do what's safest for their children.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• There are always some kind of car seat RUMORS going around. I call my State Police. They are informed about our State LAWS and I trust their judgement.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 2:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Mine are both over two, but I kept both of mine rear facing until 18 months...should have done it longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeExpDLDA

MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I like this but along with that, they need to start making MORE carseats that have a 5-pt harness that goes beyone 40 lbs. My DD was 40 lbs before she reached 2 years old so I had to turn her since the seats I could find with a 5-pt harness over 40 were all for forward facing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I kept my second son RF until he was 2.5... He loved it, and begged to be turned back around once I FF him... it is SO much safer to have a child RF. My first, I was uneducated and turned him way too early. Parents are worried about their childs legs being bent against the seat, or worried about broken legs. I'm sorry, I would much rather have a child with broken legs than a child with a broken neck.
    MommaRoxanne

Answer by MommaRoxanne at 2:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I don't think anything of it. If it's the safety of my kids in question, I'm going to follow guidelines.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 2:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2011