Family wedding.. am I wrong for not going?

Everyone in my family dislikes me and it started since I was a small child. I am pretty much scarred for life. Well anyway growinng up me and my 3 cousins were very close up until college. We usually said we were sisters and we did everything together and spoke to each other everyday. Well they all drifted apart from me but remail close among them. Things changed when I got pregnant. My oldest cousin was critizing my babies looks and I was offened. For about 4yrs we basically stopped talking to each other. We started our relationship again 3 yrs ago but we are not how we use to be. Well she is getting married and everyone that we grew up with is in her wedding. Even the ones who are not close to her, except me. I tried not to feel hurt but I was. Since children and up until december she told me, me and my 4yr old dd will be in it and suddenly she was telling everyone not to tell me anything about the wedding. She is 'best friends' on facebook with me but not in real life. Well I got the invittation to her wedding. She is having a small 30min church wedding and then after a big venue wedding with coaktails and recpetion. On the invitation it says no children allowed. She knows I'm a single mom and if the whole famiy is going where would I leave my daughter. Everyone in the family is saying you're family and that rule doesn't apply to you. Well I called her and she said I can go to the 30min ceremony but my daughter can't go to the other. So basically I can't go. I felt so horrible and asked her and she told me because we are not close. Well I don't know if I should go the 30min one at all. Were going to get all dressed and spend money to a short ceremony and its dd picnic meet and greet day for K1. (Its a september wedding) I don't think my daughters picnic is worth missing. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• You don't HAVE to go to a family wedding. You don't have to explain to them why, just politely decline the rsvp and send them a card and if you wish a gift with your best wishes. :)
    RigPrincess85

Answer by RigPrincess85 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Go to your daughter's picnic and skip the wedding. Send a card with "Best Wishes" and leave it at that.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I would go to my daughter's picnic instead of the wedding. Send a card or something to your cousin and give them your best wishes.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Don't go. Like the others said, send a card.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If the bride told you over the phone, that you are not close to her, she is basically saying she doesn't care whether you are there. If you aren't close to her, why would she send you an invitation at all? It was rude of her to sed an invitation and when you call her to ask about your daughter she then decides to tell you you guys aren't even close. I wouldn't go and wouldn't have any regrets. Enjoy your daughter's day!
    Bluebird8874

Answer by Bluebird8874 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• do not go. just send a card and don't let the family drama intrude with your child's schedule.
    geminilove7149

Answer by geminilove7149 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I think you should find a sitter and go. I for one, do not think children should be at weddings. When I remarried, I did not have children at our wedding. it was an adult affair and I did not want to get stuck supervising someone's kids.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 3:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2011