For SAHM's a quick question

DO you think because you are staying at home and not making an income you have no say in what the money is spent in your home or do you believe that taking care of your kids and home gives you a say in the household spending.

In my situation i am going to be a SAHM because going back to work i would only be making enough to pay for day care (along with 300 from my husbands check) on top of that i would have to buy another car because my husband would be using our car to drive for his job.

I was wondering because my MIL has now told me that since my husband makes the money i can kiss anything i want goodbye because i'll never see another penny (her words not my husbands)

krissii

Asked by krissii at 2:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Im a SAHM and I agree even tho you dont work you should have a say in where the money is spent...if you are a couple and a team then you should be able to make money decisons too.
    hottmomma042607

Answer by hottmomma042607 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I am a SAHM. I handle all of the account, finances, pay all the bills, and okay all of the spending. We are on a strict budget, and I am the one with the time to contstantly monitor, requote, meet deadlines, etc. Hubby is at work all day . . . that's his job. My job is to manage everything on the home front.

So, it is not necessarily true.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Oh my... I think being a stay at home mom is a job all in itself! As far as the spending goes, whats yours is ours is something I always liked to say to my husband. For larger purchases, I always consult with my husband. As for spending money on the necessities like food and clothes.. I think its all part of the job and I don't ask my husband before buying.

I started working from home because working outside of the home wasn't worth it just to pay the daycare, just like you said! So now that I make my own income, I don't feel so bad about spending money on a few extra things for our family!
    KTurner4

Answer by KTurner4 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• No, my husband is the one with no say in where our money goes, lol. Not really, sort of...... We both work hard. His responsibilities are mainly outside of the home and I take care of everything having to do with our home and our family. Which means I pay the bills and do all the shopping. We have a budget and we follow it. He gets so much spending money and I get so much spending money. His paycheck is direct deposited, so he never even sees the money anyways. If there is something that I want, that isn't part of the budget, and I don't have enough of my own spending money to pay for it, we talk about it and budget for it from the next paycheck. There are things that I had to give up, like I can't get my hair done as often as I did when I was working (mostly because we can't afford to do it as often). We don't eat out much, I have to coupon shop, etc. But I think your MIL was being ugly towards you.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Actually as the SAHM (really when I was working to) I am the creator and executor of the budget. I pay bills and create a budget- I decide when and where funds need to be lessened or cut- While we talk jointly about large decisions sine I know the bank accounts and bills best I get 85% of the say so.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I'm a SAHM and have no say so in money and never have. I haven't actually had any money in my wallet in 5 years. It sucks, but that is my situation.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• In our home, my husband makes the money and doesn't want anything to do with it after that. I pay all the bills and make sure we're saving. We both buy whatever we want. As long as the bills are paid and our savings is growing, we're both happy.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I do all the bills as well and make our budget but now that my husband is making nearly 900-1000 over what our bills is MIL told him that money was his to spend as he sees fit and if he gave me money he was an idiot because i do nothing (this is coming from the woman who waits for her husband to come home to clean and when he gets his checks if he doesn't get the bills paid right away she spends the entire check (nearly 6-7000 a month) so her telling him this makes me wanna just smack her (never could but the idea makes me a feel a little better)
    krissii

Comment by krissii (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• i think your MIL should shove it. just because you get paid in dirty diapers, doesnt mean you have no say. you work just as hard as your husband keeping your home and children taken care of, you have just as much say in how the money is spent.
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 2:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Well, one of my "duties" as a SAHM is managing the budget/paying the bills. I do it all, so my Husband has one less thing to do when He isn't working. However, We both have a say because it's a Marriage!
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 2:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2011