What am i supposed to tell my aunt in law. i don't want to go to her baby shower

i hate being in a big group of women who are all excited about woman stuff. i got an invite to my husband's aunt's baby shower and i really don't want to go. baby showers are boring. i HATED mine. i'd rather be with the husbands drinking beer and watching football or UFC. how does one politely say they don't wanna go. i can't really lie and say i have work or anything cause the invites were given months in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• You couldn't manage to do it even though you hate it? It's for family & I'm sure she'd appreciate you being there.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 2:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• the husbands don't have to sit through it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• WOW- that is pretty selfish of you.. a baby shower only last a couple of hours- if you really don't want to go then just be honest & tell her you are not coming b/c you Hate Them & your Husband doesn't have to sit through something So Boring..

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 2:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If you are really close or you think it will cause family hostilities, then go and suffer through it. If you don't think you'll be missed just send a gift and a card. I don't think you have to give the reason you are not attending. If the husband's are having a get-together at the same time you could offer to act as hostess for that party.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I think you send a gift, and say that you have other plans,, I don't think you need to SAY I don't want to come,, just say you have another engagement,, at 44 years old (me) I refuse to waste my time on doing things I don't like to to if I don't have to do them,, just be happy for her, visit the baby in the hospital,, but SEND a gift! :)
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I have to agree with Daisy. I think you're being selfish.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 2:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Just say you have something else going on that day and don't go. I'd rather a selfish person didn't come to any happy event of mine and wreck the entire day because they can't see past the end of their nose and be happy or even grateful for something.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Well don't bitch when no one comes to your get togethers and the invites to others are far and few between. You could at least send a card!

About your shower....did she go to yours? Did you accept her gift? If you didn't want a shower you could have said so instead of having everyone fuss about it while you silently despise it. You seem really bitter.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Just tell her you are busy. End of story.

Answer by louise2 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If you don't want to go, don't go. I don't see it as selfish at all. I'm like you. I was totally BORED at BOTH of my baby showers and not really into most "girly" things. I usually RSVP with, sorry, I can't make it this time. and leave it at that. You do not have to give a reason, just say you're not coming.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2011