If you think the legal drinking age should be lowered to 18, why do you feel that way?

other than "you can join the army at 18" (which i also believe the age for that should be raised to 21) and "other countries do it"

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I have mixed feelings on it. I Do appreciate that some states have laws saying parents and legal guardians can offer alcohol in their own home to their own children. The earlier they get it out of their system and see it is not that fabulous the better. But lowering the age for them to just go drink seems like asking form trouble. A child under 21 or even 25 generally speaking is irresponsible enough not drunk.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I mean seriously? How to they expect a immature 18 yr old to serve their country? They are fresh out of school and havent had the chance to see what its like to be an adult. I know quiet a few people who enlisted at 18 and were booted out because they did stupid childish things. They need to enlist real men and women not one's that just want to play with guns and get a free pass to shoot and kill.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Only if you raise the driving age to 21 at the same time so they get it out of their system.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Because 18 is the age of emancipation and it's strange that you can't drink. Everyone does it anyway once they turn 18, so they might as well just change it. It's strange and silly.
    Blue_Spiral

Answer by Blue_Spiral at 2:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If you are old enough to die for your country you should be old enough to drink. I do think on that note they should raise the driving age to 18.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Absolutely not!

And I hate the argument about military. I have seen so many single soldiers get DUIs and in bar fights, etc. because they don't know how to drink responsibly, not to mention the other guys who drink their ass off to not deal with issues that have arisen from deployments.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 3:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• At age 18 you might be a LEGAL adult but most 18 year olds are not responsible enough or smart enough to be trusted with drinking liquor.I mean....just read all the posts by young teen Moms here who think what they do is perfectly normal (drinking, 'clubbing' ,sleeping around and getting pregnant) but they can't spell and don't even know if they are pregnant and think its okay to have sex when they are teens "if they do it while standing on their heads" (joke...but not too far off...) or they won't get "preggers" if "the guy pulls out". And the kids who drink and have accidents and skip school and have no ambition...probably combine pot with booze...and cause their parents heartache. Mental midgets should not be drinking at age 18. Wait until they are 21...
    Anonymous

• Most children that age haven't got a job, are living at moms, etc. The freedom is great, but I think some things need a little more time. Yes kids will find ways, but I could bet money if it were legal there would be chaos, more drunk driving accidents, alcohol related deaths, fighting, the bars would be insane, etc.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• hotmama- you think that people should take IQ tests, but from your grammar and spelling mistakes, you probably wouldn't even pass one.
    Anonymous

• Not to mention you also have the right to vote at 18. We put so much emphasis on it being taboo. Quit making it such an issue...lead by example. If people freak out about it and make a big deal about it, there is going to be an allure to it from kids.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2011